White Cake From Scratch

Baking By Nobuko Updated 22 Mar 2010 , 8:12pm by ceshell

Nobuko Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 10:40am
post #1 of 3

Hello everyone,

I'd appreciate if someone would help me. I personally don't like the taste of box cake escept white cake. When I make white cake from scratch, it turns out to be more on the dense side than light and fluffy like the box cake. I've tried several white cake recipes from scratch but I haven't found any recipes that makes a light and fluffy white cake. Is it possible to make a light, fluffy and moist white cake from scratch??? I'm NOT looking for the texture of Angel cake... Is there any trick to make a good, moist and light white cake??

2 replies
ibmoser Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 5:45pm
post #2 of 3

Try Rebecca Rather's White on White Buttermilk recipe

http://www.bakespace.com/recipes/detail/White-on-White-Buttermilk-Cake-with-Jack-Daniels-Buttercream/7175/

Add one extra teaspoon of vanilla and handle it very carefully until it is totally cool!!!! It is a fragile cake when warm, but once cooled, I have no problems handling it or carving it. (I have not tried the Jack Daniels frosting recipe listed with the cake.)

ceshell Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 8:12pm
post #3 of 3

LOL I was just going to suggest the same cake! It's awesome, and definitely not dense. In fact I once brought the WASC to a party instead of that cake, and several people commented about how my (new, WASC) cake was different, "denser" than my other cakes. That white cake is a hands-down favorite amongst my friends.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%