Microwaving Cake In Plastic Easter Eggs!?

Decorating By afwife87 Updated 22 Mar 2010 , 8:17pm by poohsmomma

afwife87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
afwife87 Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 2:12am
post #1 of 7

A friend told me last year that she had quickly read a magazine article about filling plastic easter eggs with cake batter and microwaving them. ultimately getting the cutest little egg cakes! Well last year I went through quite a few of those little eggs trying to perfect the method. The only 2 that I got to turn out were hard as a rock and smelled like aweful plastic. I just wondered if anyone has ever heard of doing this and hopefully perfected the method?! Thanks!

6 replies
makeminepink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makeminepink Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 2:32am
post #2 of 7

I would abandon this idea if I were you. You should NEVER microwave in plastic! Heating will cause chemicals from the plastic to leach into the food. Sounds cute, but don't take the chance.

Torts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Torts Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 2:35am
post #3 of 7

Never heard of it, but I'd be interested if anyone else has?

I would say try making modified cake balls? Maybe try filling the eggs with the already cooked cake and binder, set it in the freezer to retain its shape, then proceed to decorate.

Of course, I've never made cake balls either... so it's just a thought.

I don't know that I'd want microwaved plastic mixing in with my cake- who knows what chemicals are in it?

cblupe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cblupe Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 2:44am
post #4 of 7

I think Wilton has a silicone egg shaped baking pan. HTH

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 4:34am
post #5 of 7

Wilton has a new aluminum egg pan that looks like a muffin pan. Each "cup" has a different design that bakes right onto your cake. Saw them at Wal-Mart last week. They also have a big Easter egg cake pan and several others with the "spring" feel. Flowers, etc.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 6:22am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by makeminepink

I would abandon this idea if I were you. You should NEVER microwave in plastic! Heating will cause chemicals from the plastic to leach into the food. Sounds cute, but don't take the chance.

Good advice. thumbs_up.gif

There's a difference between food safe (for storage plastic) and heat safe plastic for baking in a microwave.

Microwave safe plastic:

http://www.scn.org/~bk269/plastics.html

Does Plastic in Microwave Pose Health Problems?

http://www.mindfully.org/Plastic/Microwave-Health-Problems.htm

http://wcbstv.com/topstories/plastic.containers.microwave.2.842498.html

HTH

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 8:17pm
post #7 of 7

Ditch the plastic in the microwave idea!

I have a Wilton pan that bakes 8 or 10 halves of an egg that you put together to make the whole egg. I haven't used it for years, so I don't know for sure how many it makes. The finished egg shaped cake was about as much cake as a cupcake.

Wilton probably still sells them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%