Mmf Cutouts And Accents

Decorating By ilovemylittleone Updated 24 Mar 2010 , 5:20pm by mamawrobin

ilovemylittleone Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 12:46am
post #1 of 5

How long ahead can I make the MMF cutouts and accents for my cake. How do I store them? I have read many different things.....airtight....never airtight, etc. Also I am making my first tiered cake for my nephews first b-day. I was planning on placing my tiers on cardboard circles, but just read on another topic that from experience they don't hard up well with buttercream cakes. Any thoughts?

4 replies
Bettycrockermommy Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 7:39pm
post #2 of 5

Jessica,

Your decorations can be made weeks ahead of time. Just be sure to store them out of direct sunlight or they will fade. I have found that pizza boxes are great for storing fondant decorations. I use cardboard circles all the time in tiered cakes, and I have never had a problem with them supporting the cake.

Good luck!

ceshell Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 8:15pm
post #3 of 5

Great advice above! If you want the deco's to stay pliable so that you can form them onto the cake, that is when it's ok to put them into airtight containers. Just don't put them in the fridge.

ilovemylittleone Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 3:20pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks for all the help. Can wait to decorate!

mamawrobin Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 5:20pm
post #5 of 5

I always use cardboard circles and have never had any problems. I also make my fondant decorations several days in advance.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%