Buttercream Cracking..what's Wrong Here..

Decorating By jenscreativity Updated 22 Mar 2010 , 3:09am by jenscreativity

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 12:46am
post #1 of 10

When I do the final b/c icing, and put cake in fridge to harden up, it cracks when i bring cake out of fridge and so I keep adding water to soften up the cracks..once icing has cracks in it, it stays if I leave out even. Also, when I add black details on white icing, it bleeds sometimes,,so how do I resolve these issues? This has been getting to me several times..help me please..thanks so much!

9 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 1:16am
post #2 of 10

Usually if your icing cracks, it is because it isn't on a stiff enough board. What are you using under your cakes?

If you wait until your icing crusts well, it usually won't bleed. Try making the black a litter stiffer - and be sure the icing underneath is crusted well.

jenscreativity Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 1:30am
post #3 of 10

Awesome! Ok, so I use a regular, cake board, one only..maybe that's why then..so I'm trying to be conservative on buying boards, so do you have a suggestion on cost wise effieciency so I'm not losing much money..or an alternative of using under cakes?

On the black, I agree,,I will do that then.

Loucinda Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 1:45am
post #4 of 10

You need to triple the cake boards (and make sure the ridges are going opposite dierections when you glue them together) or you can use foamcore - I use the 1/2" and cut it to the size I need - and then cover with food safe covering.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 1:52am
post #5 of 10

I use cake drums.

jenscreativity Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 2:13am
post #6 of 10

Are foamcores expensive,,if not, about how much do they run for a typical 9" - 15" size? not thickness, but lengthwise?

I believe cake drums are expensive..aren't they?

Thanks so much for all of your advice everyone..loving it!

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 2:20am
post #7 of 10

Doing the triple cardboard thing is not very expensive - but you could also buy some in bulk to lower your overall cost.

jenscreativity Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 2:31am
post #8 of 10

Thank you Renae..do you have a suggestion on where to find boxes in bulk for a good price,..online..?

Loucinda Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 2:40am
post #9 of 10

I get the foamcore at Michaels. It is a 20"x30" rectangle, I use a box cutter to cut the size I need from that. It is $5.99, but I always use a 40% off coupon when I buy them. You can buy them in bulk also online.

jenscreativity Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 3:09am
post #10 of 10

Ok! Thank you , thank you EVERYONE!! Awesome! Happy caking it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%