Two Cakes In One?

Decorating By kiss_me_now9 Updated 14 Apr 2010 , 7:54pm by JGMB

kiss_me_now9 Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 12:08am
post #1 of 6

It's my sister's 22nd and my Dad's birthday in a few weeks, and I'd love to make them a 'proper' looking cake (or at least give it a bash, I'm under no illusions that it probably won't turn out very well!)

My sister loves giraffes, but I'm not sure how to go about using that idea? She's very into shopping, shoes, clothes, and oddly - football. Both her and my Dad support the same teams, so they could be incorporated... I'd rather not just make a 'normal' round cake, would like to either cut it into a shape or use a tin (but I think they'll be too expensive!)

What to actually do stumps me! Any (simple and beginner friendly!) ideas? Also, what kind of cake do I make?! icon_confused.gif Clueless doesn't even begin to describe it!

(N.B Sorry if this is in the wrong section, still working out my way around here!)

5 replies
Kibosh Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 10:19pm
post #2 of 6

Hmmm, maybe you could do two small cakes for each of them. For your sisters, maybe mak a giraffe pattern (colours, like a zebra, but just giraffe) and for your dad's, pick his favorite team colours with a few sport themed toppers on it

OR
How about 1 large cake with a giraffe wearing both their favorite team colours on it! You could make it look like a field with the giraffe in uniform running down it. not sure if your familiar with fondant and gumpaste yet.

Hope I helped a little biticon_smile.gif
Good luck and post a picture after your doneicon_smile.gif

mama2_3 Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 1:41am
post #3 of 6

What about a shopping bag with a football sticking out the top or a team jersey in the bag?

kiss_me_now9 Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 1:27pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks guys icon_smile.gif

What I think I might do - because my sister lives 2 hours away from us! - is do one small cake with some kind of pattern/decoration on it for one team and then about 12 little cupcakes with white and green icing (team colours of their home club) so that one house can have the cake and one can have the cupcakes.

I'm thinking maybe for the 'big' cake (which won't be massive!) doing a spotty style cake in orange, black and white (team colours again, lol)

thumbs_up.gif

kiss_me_now9 Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 7:08pm
post #5 of 6

Made the cake, photos are on my look-up... Shame half of it got burnt, but it tasted lovely and everyone seemed to like it! Def. not professional looking but it was 'homemade and rustic' in appearance icon_biggrin.gif

JGMB Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 7:54pm
post #6 of 6

I'm glad they liked it!!!! You're just a beginner and you're making progress -- keep at it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%