Scalloped Edge With Buttercream

Decorating By mclean Updated 23 Mar 2010 , 7:41pm by mclean

mclean Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 11:44pm
post #1 of 6

I am wondering what the technique is for scalloping an edge with buttercream. I have seen several cakes in the gallery with this technique but I don't know how to accomplish it.

5 replies
yummycupcake Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 11:58pm
post #2 of 6

Could you post a picture of the cake that you saw?

mclean Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 12:31am
post #3 of 6

Yes...that is a great idea if I might be so competent to add a photo attachment. Let's see if I can do it!

cakemaker61 Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 12:39am
post #4 of 6

You would have to use one of those scalloped presses that Wilton sells and make the impression, then frost the top of your cake, carefully working it down the sides into the scallops. Then pipe on a trim border like the beads or whatever you want.

yummycupcake Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 1:30am
post #5 of 6

I saw a video that shows how to put icing designs on the side of the cake.(youtube I think).
They made a template using parchment or waxed paper. Actually I want to do something like that but at the bottom of my daughter's cake. I plan to make a template and use a spatula to apply a thin layer of buttercream. Good luck and I will post some pictures of the cake too.

mclean Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 7:41pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for all of this!

Quote by @%username% on %date%