How To Attach Daisies Or Balls To Wires To Come Out Of Cake

Decorating By kileyscakes Updated 30 Mar 2010 , 6:50pm by ladybug614

kileyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kileyscakes Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 11:12pm
post #1 of 16

Hi, I have never done wires in cakes yet and I know to put them into a straw first but I was just wondering what the best way is to attach the fondant or gumpaste ball or daisy to the wire? any tips you can share on the process?
thanks
Kiley

15 replies
katies_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katies_cakes Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 2:48am
post #2 of 16

I have only just started to experiment with wires so im afraid i dont know much. but someone here told me to shape the end of the wire into a teeny tiny hook, then dip it into edible glue and insert it into your fondant shape while its still soft. its working so far for me. sorry i couldnt be more help.

Kerry_Kake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kerry_Kake Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 11:39am
post #3 of 16

I once got very good advice on this and I have used it ever since!
Heat your wire up were the ball is going to be placed with a lighter. When you place the ball on the hot wire it melts the fondant a tiny bit and it will harden to the wire and be very secure!

suzied Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzied Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 12:12pm
post #4 of 16

Like Katie said, make a tiny hook, either dip it in glue or hold it to a flame for a second or two and insert it into the ball, star, etc. It shouldnt come out if its left to dry completely (couple of days)

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 1:16pm
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry_Kake

I once got very good advice on this and I have used it ever since!
Heat your wire up were the ball is going to be placed with a lighter. When you place the ball on the hot wire it melts the fondant a tiny bit and it will harden to the wire and be very secure!

I got the same advice here and it works great! Just run the lighter up and down the portion of the wire you're inserting for a few seconds and insert. I have tried other techniques and they are just not as effective!

rebew10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rebew10 Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 1:34pm
post #6 of 16

I'm glad this was posted.....going to have to try the lighter technique! Thanks!

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 1:39pm
post #7 of 16

In addition to the above information, specifically for a daisy, you might want to insert the wire through the center at the back of the daisy with the wire going directly into the thicker yellow center. I haven't tried this myself, but it seems to make sense to me.

kileyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kileyscakes Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 2:45pm
post #8 of 16

I was thinking of using 2 daisies on each wire and sandwiching them with the wire between them, do you think if I heat the wire and use some glue or water between them that will work?

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 2:49pm
post #9 of 16

If I don't want my wires to bend what gauge of wire do I need? Sorry to hijack the thread but I figure you all will know.. icon_lol.gif thanks

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 3:03pm
post #10 of 16

Love the heating the wire idea! Whenever I put a ball on the wire it spins! And yes, sandwiching two daisies together will work, I've done it with stars. Next time though I think I will heat the wire icon_smile.gif

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 3:04pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kileyscakes

I was thinking of using 2 daisies on each wire and sandwiching them with the wire between them, do you think if I heat the wire and use some glue or water between them that will work?

I think that would be perfect. Just remember to bend the wire over to you have a more solid hold, then squeeze in the middle to fill in that gap.
Be sure to show us how they turn out.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 3:07pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

If I don't want my wires to bend what gauge of wire do I need? Sorry to hijack the thread but I figure you all will know.. icon_lol.gif thanks

depending on how big your attachment is you will want to with a 14 or 18 gauge wire. (a pre-cut stem wire)

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 3:09pm
post #13 of 16

Thanks Tesso icon_rolleyes.gif

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 9:47pm
post #14 of 16

I have only found the pre-cut wires at michaels. since walmart re-did their store.

suzied Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzied Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 12:58am
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kileyscakes

For the daisy if you sandwiching them why not bend the wire like a fancy no. 7 (like the handle of a paint roller) read it somewhere. Pass it through one center and secure it and then place the other on top with glue. Thought i will throw that in

ladybug614 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybug614 Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 6:50pm
post #16 of 16

I have tried putting wired in cakes with the balls and with stars on them. Everytime, the wire bends. I have bought the 18 gauge wire from Hobby Lobby and they still fell over. If I use the straws or coffee stirrers do they have to go through more than one tier of the cake?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%