Cc Family I Need Your Words Of Wisdom

Decorating By jayshunnie22 Updated 21 Mar 2010 , 11:00pm by marknelliesmum

jayshunnie22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jayshunnie22 Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 9:22pm
post #1 of 6

4 questions that need 4 answers, thanks guys for the help. (this was a longer post but i had to cut it down and get straight to the point icon_biggrin.gif )

1.)i cant level a cake even to save my life! icon_smile.gif i fake it but i knw its slightly slanted..Any tips? and i have a wilton leveler but some how my cakes still dont look straight

2.) im impatient too, so does waiting for the hour or so after you crumb coat your cake really matter before you put your fondant on?

3.)I bought new fondx fondant and it was tearing a bit as i rolled it,is it because i didnt knead it long enough? should i have kneaded in more powder sugar? (it was to sticky to just roll)

4.) Working with rice krispys,how do you do it!?! i tried once and it made me sad icon_cry.gif how do you get the fondant to stick,and look so smooth

5 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 9:52pm
post #2 of 6

1. Use the Agbay.

2. Put on a skim coat of bc and pop it into the freezer for 10 minutes, then fondant.

3. Uh . . .why would you knead powdered sugar into commercial fondant?

4. Squish 'em. Really hard. Put on a skim coat of bc and then fondant.

kaat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaat Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 9:53pm
post #3 of 6

1. Invest in a cake leveler - if you can't / don't have one I used to mark my cakes with small slits at the height I wanted all the way around (at 4 corners for squares) Then I'd take thread, line it up with the slits, cross it in front and slowly pull it through.

2. Don't know for sure but I imagine that would help to avoid blow outs.

3. Fondant should be kneaded until it can be you can take a piece and stretch it (kinda like a piece of gum).

4. I think partly its the coating (chocolate? I've used BC) and the thickness of the fondant. Bumps are more noticeable if the fondant is too thin.

HTH and look foward to hearing other opinions! icon_biggrin.gif

monet1895 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monet1895 Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 9:56pm
post #4 of 6

1. I flip my cakes out of the pan and then use the Wilton levelers, both big and small, and they work great for me. A lot of people level their cakes while they are still in the pan.

2. http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-671923-.html

No info on 3 or 4.

dguerrant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dguerrant Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 10:12pm
post #5 of 6

1. i level mine in the pan after they have been completely chilled in the fridge. i use a long knife and slice off the top. then, i use a pair os kitchen scissors to trim the crusty edge off the cakes too.

2. i crumb coat and place in the freezer for 10-15 minutes to harden, keep in mind that i work with completely chilled cakes, never room temp.

3. not sure about the fondant, i make my own

4. i think i forgot the question icon_redface.gif

marknelliesmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marknelliesmum Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 11:00pm
post #6 of 6

IMO the only thing a wilton cake leveller will level are your fingers icon_cry.gif I don't know whether they are more useless or dangerous icon_evil.gif For the time being I use a knife ( i'm a hobby baker) but i'm doing my best friend's wedding cake next year so I will have to get an Agbay (yea my arm is twisted right up my back - NOT icon_lol.gif ) coz I couldn't possibly make her a wonky wedding cake.
x

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%