Please Help! Cake Due In Less Than 2 Hours And It's Not Done

Decorating By schnumvf Updated 22 Mar 2010 , 3:08am by schnumvf

schnumvf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
schnumvf Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 7:11pm
post #1 of 7

Ok, I waited waaaay too long to work on this cake. I was up till 2am getting this far... then I worked on the cupcakes to go with it... now I am back at it and I don't know what to do! I need to bring it to church in an hour and a half... and I don't know how to finish it. I have a monogram to go on top but what else does this thing need? Border? flowers? a hope and a prayer?
Oh, and please be kind... I know my fondant is wonky. It looks far worse on camera than it does in person (thankfully!) I apparently need a lot more practice than what I thought. icon_smile.gif
LL

6 replies
ladyk333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyk333 Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 7:16pm
post #2 of 7

By now you've probably finished it and feel a lot of relief! Just sending you encouragement. I probably would've finished it with ribbon and not worried about flowers with so little time. We're always our own worst critics!

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 7:18pm
post #3 of 7

Since you dont have to much time...how about a simple border...or maybe add some ribbon at the bottom since I see some ribbon in the picture. Some simple ribbon roses on the top where the monogram will be and also on the corners of each tier would be nice. What is the cake for...is it for a baby shower?

Normita Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 7:21pm
post #4 of 7

Ribbon roses are suuuuuper simple...take only about a couple of minutes.

schnumvf Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 7:44pm
post #5 of 7

Yes, it's for a baby shower. I added ribbon to the cake board and around the bottom of the 2nd tier. It's improving.
What is a ribbon rose?

Thanks for your help! Y'all are great! icon_smile.gif

Normita Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 10:44pm
post #6 of 7

So sorry I did not respond sooner. I had to run some errands. Here is a video that explains how to do ribbon roses. The video says to use gumpaste, however, I make them out of fondant all the the time. Just click on the video by Collete Peter...how to make ribbon roses. There are some other cool videos there too. Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

http://www.rolledfondant.com/how.htm

schnumvf Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 3:08am
post #7 of 7

Thanks for the link. icon_smile.gif

Here is what the finished cake looked like. (ok, it's too big to post. I have to resize. On the 2nd tier I added ribbon as the bottom border and then again under the plaid. THe cake board got the same ribbon too.) As I was getting ready to put the monogram on top I dropped it and broke the "c" and the "a"... so I made those out of fondant and kept the blue gumpaste one. Couldn't stand them up since I literally put it on the cake and then put the cake in my van... no time to dry. Everyone loved it so thats good. I don't think I'm ever happy with my work.. but since no one is complaining I'll just write this up as another practice cake. icon_smile.gif

Thank you for your help! I'm sure to be back... have another shower cake for church next month. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%