My First Cake Order For Saturday - I Need Advice!

Decorating By shearpamela Updated 21 Mar 2010 , 5:38pm by shearpamela

shearpamela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shearpamela Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 1:48pm
post #1 of 5

I was asked to do a bridal shower cake for 30 people this Saturday, and she wants a vanilla cake and a strawberry filling. I'm going to make two 10 inch layers using the WASC Cake on CC Recipes. She has a teal and red color scheme, which sounded odd until I googled some photos and it is actually very pretty. She is hesitant about fondant, so I may do crusting cream cheese viva method, and either add fondant cutouts or attempt a stencil using buttercream.... She said as long as it tastes good and is pretty she will leave the creative process up to me.
I'm considering making Jennifer Dontzs' or Toba Garretts fondant because of such great reviews I have read in the forums.

1. How can I keep the strawberry filling from bleeding/seeping into the white cake?
2. Is Sam's buttercream good to use for stenciling?
3. Can I use Jennifer Dontzs' diamond quilting tool on Buttercream?
4. Sharon Z's BC or Crusting Cream Cheese Frosting?
5. Jennifer or Toba's Fondant?
I quoted 2.00 a slice for buttercream, 2.50 if she decided on fondant since this is my very first cake - does that sound about right? My DH thinks it's crazy low but I've gotta start somewhere and need some portfolio cakes and practice.

4 replies
Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 2:39pm
post #2 of 5

2. Sam's buttercream should be fine for stenciling. Just be sure to give a good spin in your mixer first.

I think your price sounds fine since this is your first cake-job. Yes, it is really low, but you can increase your price as you gain practice and confidence. Good luck thumbs_up.gif

Sorry, I can't answer your other questions..

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 2:43pm
post #3 of 5

Congrats on your first cake order. I will see if I can be of any help.....

1. I use a stiff dam of buttercream to hold the fillings in - I add powdered sugar to my regular buttercream and then roll the icing into a rope with my hands - lay it on the cake just inside the edge of the cake. Then when I crumb coat, I make sure to fill that area that may be "open" (between the dam and the edge of the cake) - with the crumb coat icing. I have never had a problem with leakage doing it this way.

2. Don't know - never used Sam's buttercream!

3. Yes, you can use the tool on buttercream.

4. Never used either on of those, I use Earlene's recipe for crusting cream cheese icing (www.earlenescakes.com)

5. Jennifers....tastes MARVELOUS. (although I use MMF on mine!)
Charge what you are comfortable with, it is up to you how much.

CAKE_NEWBIE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CAKE_NEWBIE Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 3:40pm
post #4 of 5

I just did 2 cakes with buttercream and strawberry filling this weekend. What I did was put a layer of buttercream on the cake then I cut the strawberries in half lengthwise and put them on top of the buttercream then put more buttercream over the strawberries so they are "incased" in the buttercream then put the top layer of cake and crumcoat the entire thing. This method works great for me and I didn't have and issues with bleeding or soggy berries.

A few tips are don't cut the strawberries too thin because they will get soggy quicker I cut mines in half so they are big chunks.

Make sure the berries are completely dry before putting them in cake if they are wet it will start to make red liquid on the buttercream

shearpamela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shearpamela Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 5:38pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks for everyone's input, I am trying not to over think this project but I am both nervous and excited and want it to be impressive in both taste and appearance!
I will make a practice cake today and see how my skills measure up, then I will know better what I can pull off and what problems I may run into.
I wonder if Sharon's Buttercream crusts well enough to stencil on? Has anyone tried it with hers?
I will take photos and post them as soon as I have something worth showing.
Thanks a million!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%