Gift Cake Techniques

Decorating By MissCakeCrazy Updated 25 Mar 2010 , 10:52am by MissCakeCrazy

MissCakeCrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCakeCrazy Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 12:00pm
post #1 of 8

I would like to make a box cake covered in fondant with a lid and wrapped with a satin ribbon and a bow on top. I am thinking of making ganache to create the sharp edges, but how to I fondant the cake? I have seen videos on you tube which show how to cover a lid on top but I am confused on how to cover the sides. Do I do this in all one big piece or do I do it with 4 pieces of fondant? Also, how can I ensure the the base of the box is nice and neat and flawless as I cannot hide the base with a ribbon or piping as its a box cake.

7 replies
windemire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
windemire Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 12:10pm
post #2 of 8

If you want clear, complete instructions, your best bet is to buy the "Boxes and Bows" DVD by Sharon Zambito. It's well worth the $35, and will show you several methods of creating boxes, step-by-step.

http://www.sugaredproductions.com/_product_85116/Boxes_and_Bows_DVD

MissCakeCrazy Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 12:15pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks for the tip but I would like to make this cake next week and I don't think I would want to buy a DVD right now. Do you know any video tutorials you may have links to?

windemire Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 12:44pm
post #4 of 8

Try this tutorial from Pink Cake Box: http://www.tutorialvideoclips.com/all/watch-video/SV9IBkTghmI___part+ii+shoebox+and+fancy+high+heel+cake+tutorial

It's for a shoebox, but it will show you how to use the panel-method for any box cake.

HTH! icon_smile.gif

MissCakeCrazy Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 9:13pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks for the tip. I have already done a cake with the panel method. The cake I have in mind will have the soft fondant. I don't know wether to roll out one long rectagnle and place around the cake or cut in 4 pieces. I will be covering with ganache underneath to try to make it look sharper.

windemire Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 9:24pm
post #6 of 8

I think using the panels makes it look more like a real box; you can stick them in the freezer so they're nice and stiff when you apply them.

MissCakeCrazy Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 10:36am
post #7 of 8

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%