Help With Oily Rolled Buttercream

Baking By smokeysmokerton Updated 22 Mar 2010 , 12:10pm by smokeysmokerton

smokeysmokerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smokeysmokerton Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 10:51am
post #1 of 7

I'm making my first cookie bouquet with rolled buttercream and it's looking really shiny and feels oily...I've made rolled buttercream once before and after they dried on the cookie they had a matte finish but this time I've let them dry and they are still oily/shiny. What can I do?

I can't post the pic here but it's in my photos.

6 replies
kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 12:22pm
post #2 of 7

I had it happen to my second batch. I tried leaving out the flavored oil, and it still happened. I put them in the freezer for 15 mins and it helped, but eventually the oil did come back, but not quite as much.
I think it has something to do with the corn syrup. I would love to know what else I could do as well.
Sorry I couldn't be helpful.

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 1:09am
post #3 of 7

I also tried everything that was suggested in previous threads but still got the oily feel. The only suggestion i havent tried is using sweetex instead of crisco or other shortening. Evidently, sweetex (a high ratio shortening) has a less oily texture than regular shortening.

smokeysmokerton Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 4:12am
post #4 of 7

Well, I let them dry all day today and finally the oily look went away. They were still a bit shiny, but not bad and not greasy to touch. I had one big cookie (about 4 inches) that took forever to dry, but I broke it so...oh well icon_biggrin.gif I'll have to try the sweetex, though. It is a little bit harder to work with, but to me rolled buttercream tastes way better than fondant so it's worth it.

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 4:16am
post #5 of 7

I was also not able to decorate with RI because it did not like the greasy surface.

EvMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvMarie Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 4:25am
post #6 of 7

I am fairly new to the cut out "thing". So, I've been trying different cookies & icings to see which I like. As far as icings go, I like Antonia74's RI. And, for the "fondant" choice, I like the mix of RBC and MMF.

I tried RBC at first and it was a bit hard to work with & greasy. Everyone seems to love the plain MMF but I just felt like trying the half and half recipe on this site. I haven't tried MMF by itself but next up is MMF & glace. Oh - -- I just can't bring myself to make a homemade recipe of fondant. But a lot of people like Michelle Fosters Fondant (MFF). I think her recipe is on here as well.

icon_smile.gif

smokeysmokerton Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 12:10pm
post #7 of 7

Evmarie, that's an interesting idea that I hadn't thought of. I don't think mmf tastes bad, I just don't love it on a cookie, but it's much easier to work with. Mixing it with rbc might help so I'll definately try that next time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%