Help With Oily Rolled Buttercream

Baking By smokeysmokerton Updated 22 Mar 2010 , 12:10pm by smokeysmokerton

smokeysmokerton Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 10:51am
post #1 of 7

I'm making my first cookie bouquet with rolled buttercream and it's looking really shiny and feels oily...I've made rolled buttercream once before and after they dried on the cookie they had a matte finish but this time I've let them dry and they are still oily/shiny. What can I do?

I can't post the pic here but it's in my photos.

6 replies
kello Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 12:22pm
post #2 of 7

I had it happen to my second batch. I tried leaving out the flavored oil, and it still happened. I put them in the freezer for 15 mins and it helped, but eventually the oil did come back, but not quite as much.
I think it has something to do with the corn syrup. I would love to know what else I could do as well.
Sorry I couldn't be helpful.

luv2bake6 Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 1:09am
post #3 of 7

I also tried everything that was suggested in previous threads but still got the oily feel. The only suggestion i havent tried is using sweetex instead of crisco or other shortening. Evidently, sweetex (a high ratio shortening) has a less oily texture than regular shortening.

smokeysmokerton Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 4:12am
post #4 of 7

Well, I let them dry all day today and finally the oily look went away. They were still a bit shiny, but not bad and not greasy to touch. I had one big cookie (about 4 inches) that took forever to dry, but I broke it so...oh well icon_biggrin.gif I'll have to try the sweetex, though. It is a little bit harder to work with, but to me rolled buttercream tastes way better than fondant so it's worth it.

luv2bake6 Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 4:16am
post #5 of 7

I was also not able to decorate with RI because it did not like the greasy surface.

EvMarie Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 4:25am
post #6 of 7

I am fairly new to the cut out "thing". So, I've been trying different cookies & icings to see which I like. As far as icings go, I like Antonia74's RI. And, for the "fondant" choice, I like the mix of RBC and MMF.

I tried RBC at first and it was a bit hard to work with & greasy. Everyone seems to love the plain MMF but I just felt like trying the half and half recipe on this site. I haven't tried MMF by itself but next up is MMF & glace. Oh - -- I just can't bring myself to make a homemade recipe of fondant. But a lot of people like Michelle Fosters Fondant (MFF). I think her recipe is on here as well.

smokeysmokerton Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 12:10pm
post #7 of 7

Evmarie, that's an interesting idea that I hadn't thought of. I don't think mmf tastes bad, I just don't love it on a cookie, but it's much easier to work with. Mixing it with rbc might help so I'll definately try that next time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%