Meeting With Reception Vendor , Questions??

Business By zuzucakes Updated 21 Mar 2010 , 5:25pm by zuzucakes

zuzucakes Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 6:49am
post #1 of 5

Hi, I am a new business and I am unsure how to proceed. A new reception vendor is moving into my area and they sent out requests to meet with all bakeries in the area.

I am unsure what to do , ask and how to prepare. I was planning on bringing in my portfolio and some cake samples, but I don't know if I should be doing anything else.. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

4 replies
KarmaStew Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 7:28am
post #2 of 5

Do you have a storefront? If not, a copy of your license.

zuzucakes Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 7:40am
post #3 of 5

not a traditional storefront , one day . I rent kitchen space, so yes I could bring a copy of my license, it did not occur to me to bring that

indydebi Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 9:34am
post #4 of 5

- Copy of license
- Confirm that you can provide a Certificate of Liability insurance (usually a $1 Million min)
- Photos of your work
- A list of other venues that you have delivered wedding cakes to.

- A list of questions for them:
----- When do they permit deliveries (4 hrs prior? 1 hr prior? by appt only?)
----- Is there a special entry you should use?
----- Who would be your main contact with them?
----- Are they agreeable to equipment being left at their venue for pick up the next day or do they prefer the bride take everything and return it to you direct? (I always liked picking it up myself.) What is their policy on dropped off vendor equipment?
----- Do they cut the cake? If so, confirm they cut 1x2x4". If they don't seem to know what that is, educate them on "industry standard". Offer them my website link on "how to cut a wedding cake" (if they are uncomfortable with cake cutting, they will love this.)
----- Are there any special rules or conditions you need to be aware of? (for example, there is a venue in town that asks we, the caterers, not walk across the wooden floor upstairs when the wedding is going on downstairs because of the creaking of the floor boards, so we have to know when the wedding starts because we basically have to shut down our set-up operation until the wedding is over ... ergo we have to plan to be pretty much DONE by the time the wedding starts.)

Be prepared to sell YOU ... not your cakes, YOU. Why they should work with you. What you offer that makes you unique or special.

zuzucakes Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 5:25pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you ... so much ....for all your help icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%