Fondant Help...please

Decorating By terri76 Updated 22 Mar 2010 , 1:57am by terri76

terri76 Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 2:05am
post #1 of 5

I just tried my first fondant covered cake. How do you keep the fondant from looking like a table cloth when you put it on a round cake? I measured my fodant the size I read (14" for a 6" cake) and when I started smoothing it I cut off the excess and when I started smoothing it was like I had too much and it was pleating alot. I never could get all the pleats out around the bottom. What did I do wrong? I used MMF about an 1/8" thick. How do I get the perfectly smooth fandant all the way to the bottom of the cake like everyone else does?

4 replies
cake-angel Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 2:51am
post #2 of 5

I usually like to raise my cake slightly and work the pleats out so that they hang below the bottom of the cake. The best way I can describe it is to lift the fondant away from the side of the cake slighlty with one hand while smothing downwards with the other until the fondant is attached and smooth-- Continue this method as you go around the cake and you should get a nice smooth finish. Trim off excess fondant. On a square cake be sure to smooth and attach the corners first and then do the sides. It works the best that way.

Loucinda Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 3:11am
post #3 of 5

There are some videos on you tube showing the technique. I do as the PP does.....it is like gently "pulling" the fondant as you smooth - starting at the top and keep going around and down.

dalis4joe Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 3:24am
post #4 of 5

for sure.. go to you tube.... it will be very helpful to not only read about how to do it but to see how to do it.... you can also go to the satin ice website... they have tons of tutorials...

HTH

terri76 Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 1:57am
post #5 of 5

Thanks everybody for the help!! I appreciate it so much and I'll definately be going to youtube.

Thanks again!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%