Help - White Fondant Over Dark Choc. Ganache

Decorating By erilay Updated 21 Mar 2010 , 4:06am by erilay

erilay Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 12:44am
post #1 of 18

Does anyone know if u use dark ckoc. ganache on a cake and cover it with white or light fondant if I mess up and have to redo it will the ganache stain my fondant. I am doind a topsey t tier and know I will have to try more than 1 time to cover it. If I peel it off and re-roll will it have stains in it or bc it is set will it be ok???? I need help ASAP. I am doing it now icon_cry.gif .

It is a choc. cake so I want to use choc. ganache.

17 replies
Kibosh Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 12:56am
post #2 of 18

Sorry I've never done it before, but don't you have a little left over that you can test it out on before you try it? Maybe that will tell you your answer. Good luck Erilay! hopefully someone more experienced helps you soon.

erilay Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 1:01am
post #3 of 18

I only have frozen ganache. Maybe I will defrost but I am baking now and want to know before I put it in the pan. If it is not going to work I will have to go to a plan B and make the bottom vanilla instead of the top. I just really don't want to do that. icon_sad.gif

Tellis12 Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 1:13am
post #4 of 18

There is a good chance at least a bit will come off on the fondant and stain it. Could you use a white chocolate ganache instead?

Kitagrl Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 1:16am
post #5 of 18

Yeah it will come off on your fondant some...Just try to work carefully and don't get too nervous...

dalis4joe Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 1:19am
post #6 of 18

it will stain... as you know chocolate/ganache... anything with chocolate softens fairly quick... so once you put the fondant and start to try to smooth it... you will automatically get the ganache a little soft... and some of it will stain it... but if it's not too much you can wipe it off... I know when I get BC on my fondant I just wipe it off and if there is a part where is a bit too much.... I just discard that piece....

HTH... Good Luck!

erilay Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 1:24am
post #7 of 18

thanks for the speedy responce. I am just sitting here confused waiting to baek. I can do the dark choc. ontop but it is a shoe box. I am doing pannels and am worried it might show through on a seem. One tier has to be choc. The bottom one is tosey turey and I know I have trouble with it.

Do u think it is smarter to do the dark choc. on the shoe box with the pannels or is that risky too???

Bunsen Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 1:36am
post #8 of 18

You can get away with kneading in a little bit and it won't show but not too much - if you need to, wipe off the worst and discard any really bad bits. If you let your ganache set up enough you won't get much stuck to the fondant at all. Good luck!

erilay Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 1:37am
post #9 of 18

excuse my spelling and missing letters ...I am rushing and nervous about the cake. I have not even started baking and it is really late already.

erilay Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 1:39am
post #10 of 18

do u use water to help it stick. I was using crisco but someone just said that is probably why my fondant was ripping.

paulstonia Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 1:44am
post #11 of 18
Originally Posted by erilay

do u use water to help it stick. I was using crisco but someone just said that is probably why my fondant was ripping.

If I'm puttting my fondant over ganache I use a jam glaze. If it's over buttercream I will brush it the cake with a little water if the frosting has crusted. What are you putting crisco on? The cake or on the surface you are rolling your fondant on. I know some people use it to roll there fondant, I use corn starch.

erilay Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 1:46am
post #12 of 18

someone told me to put it over the ganache to help it stick. Can u rip it off and re-roll if you use the jam? THat was my only consern. I have heard water as well or simple syrup.

erilay Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 1:59am
post #13 of 18

Would white choc. ganache be ok with choc cake with rasberry choc ganache filling? THat would solve the staining problem. I am just worried about taste.
THanks for everyones help. icon_smile.gif

paulstonia Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 2:03am
post #14 of 18

I'm not sure, I think whatever you use you're probably go to have a little chocolate on the fondant if you have to pull it off. Maybe if it it chilled really well first it might help. What makes you so sure you'll have to pull it off? Or are you just thinking ahead, to be prepared in case you have to?

erilay Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 2:05am
post #15 of 18

I know with the tosey turvy I have to do it several time bc it rips or I get elephant skin. That is why maybe the shoe box would be better with the d choc. and the bottom tt with the white???

erilay Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 2:07am
post #16 of 18

my husband needs the comp. but I will check back lAter if anyone can help. thanks again. thumbs_up.gif

paulstonia Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 2:21am
post #17 of 18

Then I would say, yeah you better do the chocolate on the box. I know you are worried about the chocolate showing through the panel. Maybe have a little buttercream in that same color to kind of spackle if you nee too.

erilay Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 4:06am
post #18 of 18

Exactly.... I don't want the choc. to show through the pannels. THat is my exact delema. I might just do white choc. on both the choc. and vanilla cake. THe hoc. cake is filled with a raspberry choc. ganache so it might be a nice contrast. Not my 1st choice but it might work... maybe... I hope.

Quote by @%username% on %date%