Has Anyone Tried Sam's Club But-R-Cream? I Just Got Some..

Decorating By cakiemommie Updated 22 Mar 2010 , 7:31pm by sandsher

cakiemommie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakiemommie Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 12:22am
post #1 of 26

i was at sam's today and i bought a huge tub of the but r cream. I was told that it crusts well. Anyone else tried it? taste good? smooth? crusting? and how long does it keep? also, is this considered cheating? I'm used to just making it myself. Just thought if it were really good it would save me a lot of time and cleanup! I hate working with crisco! so greasy...

thanks everyone!

25 replies
mmlj316 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmlj316 Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 12:36am
post #2 of 26

I have been wondering the same thing.

RMcGee1506 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RMcGee1506 Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 12:57am
post #3 of 26

We use the sams icing at a bakery I work at. It crusts pretty well. People have never complained about the flavor of the white or chocolate icing (at least not that I know of). I don't think of it as cheating because it takes alot of work to make icing for a big cake!

sandsher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandsher Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 1:18am
post #4 of 26

I use it sometimes. I love the taste and so does everybody I do cakes for. They all know I make my own icing too and they never know when I use this or make mine. It's great for when you need a lot of icing. I always get compliments on my cakes. I hope you like it.

sandsher Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 1:20am
post #5 of 26

Oh and it lasts for six months, but always make sure you keep the lid closed tight all the way.

KarmaStew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarmaStew Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 7:24am
post #6 of 26

no way.

is there really something (supposedly) edible called But-R-Cream?

Beckup Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckup Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 7:51am
post #7 of 26

Oh yeah! But R Cream. When I worked at Sam's we used to joke about it too! We would call it "ButtCream" We'd leave "R" off! icon_lol.gif

KarmaStew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarmaStew Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 7:53am
post #8 of 26

Oh man.... that is just not right.

Did you ever look at the label? Does it even contain butter? I would guess not, since it's spelled the way it is. If it did contain butter that would be a good selling point and then they could spell it right.

sandsher Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 2:33pm
post #9 of 26

OK... so these two don't like it, if they have even tried it. You wanted some opinions so I gave you mine. I have used it and like it. Some people do, some people don't. I say just try it and see for yourself. You have already bought it anyway. I recommended it for someone that used it on a five tier wedding cake and everybody loved it. She is a fan of this stuff now too. Good luck!

Laurascakefactory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laurascakefactory Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 2:43pm
post #10 of 26

I use it all the time for the sake of time... I just add my own flavorings like almond, vanilla, creme bouquet, or what ever I want and everyone loves it. I do have to thin it down just a tad as it is stiffer that I prefer

cakiemommie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakiemommie Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 4:34pm
post #11 of 26

does it crust well? that's my concern.. i want to be able to smooth it. i bought it in white and a tub in red..

sweetlybaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlybaked Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 4:40pm
post #12 of 26

We used to use this in a bakery that I used to work at. I hated the taste! And the feeling was yucky too, IMO. If you add more flavors to it, say vanilla and butter, I think it would taste better, and you may need to thin it down, but it does crust well! HTH.

sandsher Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 7:16pm
post #13 of 26

Yes, it does crust well and you should have no problem smoothing it. I have had trouble smoothing a couple of times, but I think it's because my kitchen is very tiny and stays hot while I'm in the process of baking and decorating a cake sometimes. I have only bought the white. I would love to try the red. The white colors very well too. Good luck with it!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 9:10pm
post #14 of 26

I used it in school. It's easy to use. I think it tastes like chemicals and would never use it in my own business.

dguerrant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dguerrant Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 9:22pm
post #15 of 26

OK, HAVE TO ADMIT THAT A DID BUY A FEW BUCKETS OF THAT STUFF BACK IN THE DAY, AND WILL NEVER BUY IT AGAIN, MY CLIENTS HATED IT AND ASKED WHAT I DID DIFFERENTLY BECAUSE THAT WASN'T MY USUAL FROSTING ( I MAKE MINE FROM SCRATCH EVERYTIME NOW). i USED THAT WHEN I WAS WAY OVERBOOKED AND THOUGHT IT WOULD SAVE TIME, BUT I FOUND THE TEXTURE WAS MUCH DIFFERENT AND I DIDN'T LIKE THE "FEEL" OF IT.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 9:38pm
post #16 of 26

cakiemommie, p/m thanh thanh. she is one of our best decorators on c/c. everyone is always asking her . her opinions. she is nice to give them she uses sams icings. check out her pics. she is a lovely person and her pics are lovely. hth there are lots of clients that doesn,t like the taste of butter in their icings. so give this a try since you have it. i have read from many decorators on here that they use and like it. we all like different tastes. that is ok. right?

sandsher Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 9:44pm
post #17 of 26

I don't like buttercream that has butter in it. We all do have different tastes. I really like the taste of the Sam's icing.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 9:50pm
post #18 of 26

so many people, including family and friends. ask me if i make frosting that taste as good as sams or costco ,etc. i have to tell them. i don,t know how they make theirs. so i don,t know. i even tell them to go there and get their cakes and cake squares. i want them to be happy. i had to try and come up with an icing close to costco's . lol. to please my daughter couple of times. it didn,t make me mad. i thought it was cute. she wanted what she wanted. if people tell me that don,t want these icings made strickly with butter. then i am not going to force it on them. i make what they like. no body is going to make me eat what i don,t like. so, i have learned to make all kinds of icing recipes to please.

awestervelt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awestervelt Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 10:15pm
post #19 of 26

I buy it because it's so much cheaper than making it yourself!! I have never had anyone complain about the taste. I think it crust fine and I have never had a issue with it. I will make my own if someone request that but so far nobody has. It's great for the filling too I just add my own flavorings to change it up a bit.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 10:16pm
post #20 of 26

I think it is personal opinion. I know people who like the overly sweet chemical taste of the sams icing but myself I don't. I have bought it and used it because people do like it. But I am pretty much just using the buckets to store flour , sugar and I have one to put my buttercream (homemade) in when I have a large cake order. I just make up batches and dump them in. The containers are GREAT!

chrissypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissypie Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 10:43pm
post #21 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by icer101

cakiemommie, p/m thanh thanh. she is one of our best decorators on c/c. everyone is always asking her . her opinions. she is nice to give them she uses sams icings. check out her pics. she is a lovely person and her pics are lovely. hth there are lots of clients that doesn,t like the taste of butter in their icings. so give this a try since you have it. i have read from many decorators on here that they use and like it. we all like different tastes. that is ok. right?

I thought Thanh Thanh said she uses Rich's Bettercreme? Is that a different product or is it the same?

RetiredNavyChief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RetiredNavyChief Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 11:37pm
post #22 of 26

I use it when i have alot of cakes due around the same time. I like others add flavors to it and rewhip it. I buy the red, easier than getting it that color on my own. It crust great. I prefer my own BC, but its a great back up.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 11:46pm
post #23 of 26

Bettercreme IS a different product than But-R-Creme. But I think it tastes like chemicals also.

sandsher Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 3:04am
post #24 of 26

I have also tried the Bettercream and I hate it! That is my opinion, but I don't prefer the whipped icings. I will never buy it again. I love the But-R-Cream! This is all just personal opinions and tastes though. We are all different as are the people we do the cakes for.

cakeflake80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeflake80 Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 7:29pm
post #25 of 26

I just bought this icing for the first time about 6 weeks ago because I really didn't feel like making buttercream from scratch, and I figured since it lasts a few months I would definitely get good use out of it. I am glad I did...I really like the taste and it crusts really good. It is definitely very sweet, but I like that. I don't like buttery icing, but I know some people also don't like the really sweet stuff either. But I only do this for family and friends, and nobody has complained yet. I will definitely buy it again.

sandsher Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 7:31pm
post #26 of 26

I totally agree with you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%