Modeling Chocolate Vs. Fondant

Decorating By Mombo Updated 21 Mar 2010 , 7:48pm by Mombo

Mombo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mombo Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 11:40pm
post #1 of 4

I was wondering what is the difference between modeling chocolate and fondant. Are there specific uses for each? Is one better than the other? Any info would be helpful!

3 replies
ski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ski Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 1:05pm
post #2 of 4

I use both frequently, modeling chocolate taste better IMHO and is much easier as it doesn't harded fast like fondant. That being said, to adhere is a bit difficult if you are covering stuff, compared to fondant, because fondant is just a dab of water, So, I have opted to do a mix of 50/50, this allows me the flexibilty,time and taste of MC, and the adherence of the fondant. Also you can roll MC thinner w/o cracking.

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 1:18pm
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ski

I use both frequently, modeling chocolate taste better IMHO and is much easier as it doesn't harded fast like fondant. That being said, to adhere is a bit difficult if you are covering stuff, compared to fondant, because fondant is just a dab of water, So, I have opted to do a mix of 50/50, this allows me the flexibilty,time and taste of MC, and the adherence of the fondant. Also you can roll MC thinner w/o cracking.

You can mix modeling chocolate 50/50 with fondant? I had no idea! I'll have to try that. I love sculpting with modeling chocolate as I can work it forever and it doesn't dry out (I'm slow). I have never tried covering a cake with it but want to at some point.

Mombo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mombo Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 7:48pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks Ski for the information, it helps. Do you make your own modeling chocolate or order it?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%