How Do I Cover A Cake With Mmf?

Decorating By Roxybc Updated 21 Mar 2010 , 2:12am by Roxybc

Roxybc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Roxybc Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 10:31pm
post #1 of 3

I've made MMF once before, so am familiar with it's consistancy but I've only ever used it to make a few cut out shapes. Even when I let the shapes dry over night they started to wilt after I put them on top of my buttercream frosted cupcakes because the were absorbing the moisture from th BC. I've heard that you should cover a cake with BC before covering it with fondant, but I don't want it to slide off if I do this! The particular cake I need to cover is the base piece of the Wilton Giant Cupcake, so it looks like a nice smooth cupcake liner. Can someone suggest the best way to do this? Filling in the ridges and making the whole thing perfectly smooth and formed to the cake without slipping off?

2 replies
catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 1:53am
post #2 of 3

There are really great videos on how to cover a cake with fondant. The giant cupcake would be harder...I almost think I would do it upside down until the fondant started to dry a bit then turn it over and add filling and then do the top. Just an idea.

Roxybc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Roxybc Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 2:12am
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlharper

There are really great videos on how to cover a cake with fondant. The giant cupcake would be harder...I almost think I would do it upside down until the fondant started to dry a bit then turn it over and add filling and then do the top. Just an idea.

Yeah, I was planning on doing it upside down, then flipping it over. I was thinking I should leave a bit along the bottom (top) edge so when I flip it over I could fold the fondant over the top of the base before placing trhe top part on. What do you mean before I add the filling? Do I have to use a filling, cuz I wasn't planning on it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%