Just Cruisin' For Some Inspiration!

Decorating By emiyeric Updated 23 Mar 2010 , 11:21pm by emiyeric

emiyeric Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 9:57pm
post #1 of 7

You guys always give me the best ideas, so I figured I'd go fishing for some inspiration icon_smile.gif.

One of my little boys is turning 7 in May, and being the obsessive compulsive planner I am, I'm fiddling around with cake ideas to give myself plenty of time. He wants a reptile/amphibian theme, though I've had a hard time finding partyware that fits his vision, heehee. I finally settled on a dart frog pattern for some of the paper plates, but I know he would rather have snakes and lizards and such included into his cakes. I want something spectacular icon_smile.gif ... thinking maybe large jungle leaves draping down from one tier to the next, maybe colorful snakes winding down the cake. But really, I'm having a hard time pinning down the concept, since I know the pattern on his plates isn't really what he wants and I don't have a good picture to go off of. Any ideas?

6 replies
LeckieAnne Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 12:04am
post #2 of 7

Not sure about an idea for the cake - but instead of buying printed plates - I would get some nice coordinating color/colors from a party store - and not worry about having printed plates. Then you don't have to worry they don't match. Just make your favors match - table will still be cute.

leilameemacoleman Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 12:20am
post #4 of 7

I agree with the matching plates pick a jungle colour scheme of green and blue or something like that and you could give each kid a plastic frog or lizard on their plate to go with there cake

Also the cake idea sounds great if he wants more reptiles try modeling a salamander out of modeling chocolate kids love salamanders icon_biggrin.gif

emiyeric Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 1:01am
post #5 of 7

Thanks so much, guys! CookieD-oh, I absolutely LOVE the style of jungle leaves on that second cake. Great ideas, thank you!! So, it turns out that my little guy actually drew me a picture of exactly the sort of cake he wants - the little stinker actually made a very VERY feasible (and quite original!) design, and I'm so excited to try it! I will certainly be incorporating elements from some of these suggestions (particularly that shape of leaf!) ...

Thanks again, guys!

-Emi.

LeckieAnne Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 3:48am
post #6 of 7

When you're done - post your pic of the cake AND his drawing! I'd love to see it! icon_smile.gif

emiyeric Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 11:21pm
post #7 of 7

Will do! It won't be for another two months or so, but I will definitely post an update then! icon_smile.gif Thanks again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%