Fun Advertising Today

Business By Kitagrl Updated 21 Mar 2010 , 1:02am by Kitagrl

Kitagrl Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 9:49pm
post #1 of 14

So today I got to go to Macy's and set up a table there with cake dummies and I made mini cupcakes for samples, and flyers and business cards and a drawing for 50% off a cake order. They were doing a little Bridal event although their main person cancelled on them last minute!!!! So there weren't hardly any vendors. But its okay...I think I got more publicity than I ever did at the expensive bridal show, and this one was free! I even got a Clinique gift "goody" bag when I was done. icon_smile.gif

I had fun with the mini cupcakes, did all different flavors and icings....some people thought they were lip glosses because I was by the Clinique counter. haha. Plus I had put disco dust on them and they couldn't understand how a sparkly cupcake could be edible. icon_smile.gif

Most people were so nice and polite...it was almost funny to notice a few that were not as thoughtful...one took three of them (for her and daughter and friend) then accidentally dropped them and came back to take three more. (I made around 250 total). icon_rolleyes.gif A few people came back for seconds or wanted to taste 2 or 3 flavors. One stood there and ate like three in a row! LOL..... and a few were of course guys who could care less about my business but saw free food. Otherwise the mini cupcakes went farther than I first expected (not everyone took them) and I got alot of flyers and cards out, and the bridal consultant there took a stack of cards to staple to the other information they give the brides that they have there.

So all in all what a neat day. And they found out about me through the lady's daughter finding my card in the bank...and I'm in the bank because of a business card exchange I went to.

I am SO never paying for a bridal show again. haha. I am doing so much better doing the free stuff!!!!

13 replies
indydebi Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 9:53pm
post #2 of 14

Fabulous story! Macy's does things so top notch anyway, so just being there put you a step above the rest. (I did some caterings for Macy's for some style shows and special events, and they were always awesome to work with!) Nothing bargain basement for them!

Great job for scoring such a great gig!

dalis4joe Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 9:58pm
post #3 of 14

WOW Awesome.... If ou don't mind.... can you tell me more about the bus. card exchange... how does that work?

sound so nice... I would love to do something with Macy's !! hehehe

CONGRATS!

Kitagrl Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 9:59pm
post #4 of 14

Thanks! icon_smile.gif They said if they have any other events they'll be sure to call, and one girl took a flyer because we have another Macy's in another mall (actually only about 5 miles from this one!) and they said they have events all the time too.

Its too funny, I get to hear all about Cake Boss and Ace of Cakes when I do these things. haha. "Have you ever seen that one cake show.....?" icon_biggrin.gif

Loucinda Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 10:00pm
post #5 of 14

WOW!!! That is very cool that you got that opportunity! icon_biggrin.gif ( I need to go put some business cards at the bank!) icon_wink.gif

Kitagrl Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 10:01pm
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalis4joe

WOW Awesome.... If ou don't mind.... can you tell me more about the bus. card exchange... how does that work?

sound so nice... I would love to do something with Macy's !! hehehe

CONGRATS!

I did one with the Lower Bucks Chamber of Commerce...I haven't joined yet (don't have the money at this point) but you can go to one free to try it out. I learned about the bank and opened a business account (which I had not done yet) and then they let me display my business in their bank. Then the lady from Macy's daughter picked up one of my cards and gave it to her mom, and her mom happened to need more vendors for the Bridal thing.

Yay. thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 10:02pm
post #7 of 14

Kita, when I worked with Macy's on caterings, I worked thru a person in their St. Louis office who handled the regional stuff. She coordinated events at a number of Macy's in the area. I had one contact for multiple stores. See if you can find out if your Macy's has a regional person like that ... if you can hook up with that person, then you are "in" for multiple stores in just one shot!

Kitagrl Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 10:05pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Kita, when I worked with Macy's on caterings, I worked thru a person in their St. Louis office who handled the regional stuff. She coordinated events at a number of Macy's in the area. I had one contact for multiple stores. See if you can find out if your Macy's has a regional person like that ... if you can hook up with that person, then you are "in" for multiple stores in just one shot!

That's awesome! I need to check on that for sure...we have a bunch of them around here.

Did they hire you or were you there to advertise?

dalis4joe Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 10:30pm
post #9 of 14

awesome.... I'm jumping in the bandwagon if you don't mind lol.....
I will do the same here... try to find out about the in-charge for special events....

PS.... doesn't this happen to you? When people see your work... they tell you that you should be on the tv cake shows.... I get that a lot... I'm like... I W_I_S_H_!

tesso Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 10:35pm
post #10 of 14

Now that just rocks !!! I am so happy for you. I wish I had been there to grab a cupcake or two !! icon_lol.gif

indydebi Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 10:39pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Quote:

That's awesome! I need to check on that for sure...we have a bunch of them around here.

They hired me to cater it, but I had my cards handy for anyone who asked (and lots of shoppers asked!). But I was pretty savvy, if I do say so myself. One time they wanted passed desserts, so I did mini dessert squares on silver trays and me and another of my crew walked thru the dept passing these desserts. When people asked "Who's doing this?", I'd reply, 'Oh Macy's! They totally believe in treating their customers with top of the line!" (Then subtley would give them my card and company name. icon_rolleyes.gif )

Another time they just wanted us to provide non-alcoholic champagne for a teen bridal show. We poured it into plastic champagne flutes and these teens were looking SO grown up walking around with "champagne"!

Kitagrl Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 10:41pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Quote:

They hired me to cater it, but I had my cards handy for anyone who asked (and lots of shoppers asked!). But I was pretty savvy, if I do say so myself. One time they wanted passed desserts, so I did mini dessert squares on silver trays and me and another of my crew walked thru the dept passing these desserts. When people asked "Who's doing this?", I'd reply, 'Oh Macy's! They totally believe in treating their customers with top of the line!" (Then subtley would give them my card and company name. icon_rolleyes.gif )

Another time they just wanted us to provide non-alcoholic champagne for a teen bridal show. We poured it into plastic champagne flutes and these teens were looking SO grown up walking around with "champagne"!

That is so awesome!!!!

The people today thought I was part of Clinique...somehow.....haha.

costumeczar Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 12:24am
post #13 of 14

Just be careful with the store shows, I've done some that were okay and some that were so poorly run it was a total waste of time, and they were in the same store. They tend to change personnel in those stores fairly frequently, so if someone does a good job arranging a show but then leaves, you could get stuck. You should find out who's in charge of the shows and keep in touch with them so that you'll know if they're changing things.

As long as the shows are free to do you have nothing to lose except an afternoon and some samples, though.

Kitagrl Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 1:02am
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Just be careful with the store shows, I've done some that were okay and some that were so poorly run it was a total waste of time, and they were in the same store. They tend to change personnel in those stores fairly frequently, so if someone does a good job arranging a show but then leaves, you could get stuck. You should find out who's in charge of the shows and keep in touch with them so that you'll know if they're changing things.

As long as the shows are free to do you have nothing to lose except an afternoon and some samples, though.

Right, this one was free. It wasn't a big deal...as a matter of fact since David's Bridal backed out, it was just me and a lone harpist!!! Nobody even knew why we were there. But I got lots of contacts (had a raffle) and had lots of positive comments, and free is good! I got tons more contacts than I did for spending $800 on a Bridal show....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%