Excited, Friends Hubby Cut Me Beautiful Log Cake Stands

Decorating By momma28 Updated 22 Mar 2010 , 1:46pm by CarolAnn

momma28 Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 9:17pm
post #1 of 20

We had a red oak blown over by a tornado this past summer. As we were cutting it up I realized that if there were some way to get the 17 inch diameter wood cut into level 6 inch tall rounds they would look just like the rustic cake stands I had seen online. I have a wedding in October that this would be perfect for.

My friends husband is a sawyer and has a sawmill at their house. We went there today and he cut me 8 in varying heights (in case I ever need a thicker or thinner one or several at once for unstacked cakes)!! They are beautiful. I am going to leave them to season for a couple more weeks and then sand and poly them. Just had to share since I had no idea where to buy these. Maybe this should have been on the cake addict post "If you are in the woods cutting up a downed tree and you see cake stands, you might be a cake addict" icon_biggrin.gif

19 replies
Rylan Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 9:41pm
post #2 of 20

I've always wanted one of those! Your husband is awesome!

mysweetconfetions Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 9:43pm
post #3 of 20

Oh momma28...I know your excitement! We have a farm and cut our own firewood. My husband thought I was insane when I started getting him to cut disc of wood for cake stands...lol...But they are of so useful and pretty when done.

Kitagrl Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 9:52pm
post #4 of 20

Ohhh that sounds beautiful! I love rustic things, and my dream home would be a log cabin (I live near Philly though, go figure!)....that sounds awesome!!!! I want to see pix when you finish!

indydebi Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 9:57pm
post #5 of 20
mysweetconfetions Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 9:58pm
post #6 of 20

HMMMMM...maybe I need to fire up the chainsaw and head to the back forty... icon_biggrin.gif

cownsj Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 10:16pm
post #7 of 20

Good for you. I am so jealous, but happy you have them all. Enjoy

JGMB Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 10:21pm
post #8 of 20

How cool!!! I couldn't imagine what it would look like until Debi posted her photo. So, now I can say, "Lucky you!!!"

JulieMN Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 10:34pm
post #9 of 20

momma28...what a treasure....enjoy!

momma28 Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 11:37pm
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by cownsj

Dont be jealous icon_sad.gif I wish I could send you one or two but I dont even want to think about what the shipping would be icon_confused.gif With the amount of red oak that is down I could supply the world LOL I will take a pic and post.

cownsj Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 1:04pm
post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by momma28

Quote:
Originally Posted by cownsj

Dont be jealous icon_sad.gif I wish I could send you one or two but I dont even want to think about what the shipping would be icon_confused.gif With the amount of red oak that is down I could supply the world LOL I will take a pic and post.

Well heck, with that much around, you should see what size fits into the one rate boxes from the post office and sell them on ebay........ I'd be bidding.

dalis4joe Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 1:20pm
post #12 of 20

Debi:

That is GORGEOUS!! Now I want one lol....

DreamMaker2 Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 1:54pm
post #13 of 20

What a great idea! And thanks for posting the pics, Indydebi. I've got a groom's cake due in September and the theme will be Hunting. This idea will be perfect for the cake stand. (Now all I need is a downed tree!)

Thanks for sharing! icon_biggrin.gif

Spuddysmom Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 2:06pm
post #14 of 20

Okay, this has got to be the ultimate in looking for a "silver lining" - "Oh yeah, we had a tornado, but just look at this wonderful cake board!"
That sounds so nuts, but, wow, that really will be a wonderful cake board!! and I do think you could sell them.

JaimeAnn Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 6:09pm
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Ohhh that sounds beautiful! I love rustic things, and my dream home would be a log cabin (I live near Philly though, go figure!)....that sounds awesome!!!! I want to see pix when you finish!

I just moved into my Log cabin 2 months ago. I have been scouting my property for "Cake Stands" so far all of my trees are still upright though. Would it be bad to hope one fell over so I could make cake stands out of it? Hahahahahaha

CarolAnn Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 6:34pm
post #16 of 20

Debi - you are a freakin genius! I was reading and thinking of the weight and you done solved the problem already. Wonderful smart idea!

JamieAnn, Nooo don't dare make THAT wish! Could end up with one tree falling on the next and the domino affect takes out all your trees. LOL

I do love the look of the wood slice cake stands/plates. Beautiful. I am a woodworker #1 and I see possibilities everywhere when I look at wood and trees.

milkmaid42 Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 6:35pm
post #17 of 20

Oh I wish my chain saw were larger and I were younger! I still have a couple of downed black walnut trees from an ice storm a couple of years ago. Mostly though, I wish I had a sawyer friend, for your hollowed out stand indydebi looks ideal. I've just hated seeing that wood deteriorate over the seasons. It is way out by the creek so it is a happy habitat for the termites and critters plus being a wonderful support for bowers of poison ivy! What a sad waste.

indydebi Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 6:51pm
post #18 of 20

this is the guy who made mine. Calling him "a woodworker" doesnt' do him justice. He is a true artisan. Feel free to contact him but as mentioned above .... the shipping weight will be expensive! Just know it ahead of time. Tell him Debi sent you.

http://www.customfurniture4you.com/

I had him looking for 2 or 3 months for the perfect piece for me. Had I not closed the shop, I would be asking him for some that were smaller dimension for smaller cakes.

cakemakerkevin Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 9:53pm
post #19 of 20

wow why didnt i think of that ... hmmmmm thats why im on CC to get great ideas and to post some of my ideas( occasionally i have one or two)lol icon_eek.gif

CarolAnn Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 1:46pm
post #20 of 20

Debi - you are a freakin genius! I was reading and thinking of the weight and you done solved the problem already. Wonderful smart idea!

JamieAnn, Nooo don't dare make THAT wish! Could end up with one tree falling on the next and the domino affect takes out all your trees. LOL

I do love the look of the wood slice cake stands/plates. Beautiful. I am a woodworker #1 and I see possibilities everywhere when I look at wood and trees.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%