How To Make A Cheese- Looking Cake

Decorating By naughtyhobbit Updated 23 Mar 2010 , 6:53pm by newmansmom2004

naughtyhobbit Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 6:39pm
post #1 of 7

Can anybody explain to me how to make a cheese- looking cake, like this one: http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1244355 . I'd like to know how to make those holes. How to put fondant on the cake to make those holes. I was thinking about cutting small holes in top layer of the cake, then frost it with buttercream and then put fondant on top. But how to get the same effect on the sides of the cake? Thanks for your help!

PS.
Sorry for language mistakes, English isn't my every day language icon_wink.gif .

6 replies
ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 6:55pm
post #2 of 7

I think the idea you have will work fine, and you can do the same thing on the sides of the cake. Just carve the holes, ice the cake, and cover in fondant. Just make sure to smooth the fondant into the holes to give a defined shape.

roosterroses Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 1:46am
post #3 of 7

That is what I ended up doing when I made this one: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1326958
Post a pic when you are done! icon_biggrin.gif

ladij153 Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 5:52am
post #4 of 7

Hi naughtyhobbit,

Here is one I did http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1241901.

I just covered my cake in fondant and used the end of my small rolling pin that I use for gumpaste work to make indentations. After seeing the pics you and roosterroses posted I think maybe I should have shadowed the indentations to make them look better. Oh well...live on CC and learn!!

Good luck with yours and be sure and post a pic so we can see the finished cake!!!

lngo Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 6:27am
post #5 of 7

Similar to the previous post, something you can do is ice your cake with a slightly thick layer of buttercream. Then cover in fondant and use the round end of a gumpaste tool to make round indentations.

naughtyhobbit Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 6:43pm
post #6 of 7

Thank you for all your advices! They were very helpful for me. I've made that cheese- looking cake. I cut some holes in the cake, then put some chocolate buttercream od it. I covered it with yellow fondant and painted the holes with dark yellow. I put some mice on the top, they're holding transparents with dedication. They could look better, but it was my first time with mice figurines (my cats are a lot better icon_biggrin.gif ). Anyway my client was pleased, I hope she didn't fake it icon_wink.gif.
LL

newmansmom2004 Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 6:53pm
post #7 of 7

To get the indentations, ice your cake as usual then refrigerate. When it's cold, take a melon baller and scoop out holes here and there. That way when you cover with fondant the hole is already there. Simply take your ball tool and smooth the fondant into the hole. If you don't put holes in the cake before you cover it with fondant, you risk tearing through the fondant trying to make a hole with a pin or a ball tool. And the cake may eventually bounce back and distort your hole, too, if you haven't scooped it out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%