Lace Mold Questions

Decorating By lecrn Updated 21 Mar 2010 , 4:55pm by lecrn

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 4:50pm
post #1 of 17

Does anyone know where to buy floral lace molds similar to the ones used on this cake?:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33860972@N06/3782689950/in/photostream/

What is the best medium to use in these molds? Fondant, fondant/gp, GP, or modeling choc?
If you were to purchase a particular mold for a cake, do you add that to the cost of the cake, or do you add an equipment charge since you can use the mold again?
Thanks!

icon_mad.gif Sorry I couldn't get the pic to attach.
LL
LL

16 replies
ShopGrl1128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShopGrl1128 Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 5:53pm
post #2 of 17

Global Sugar Art has a great selection of lace molds.
I used one about a year ago and I think I used 75%GP+25% fondant.

I added the cost of the mold to the price of the cakes, mold are expensive and this is something I don't use everyday to justify the expense.

lecrn Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 5:56pm
post #3 of 17

Thanks so much! I just looked @ their selection. I wonder if there's a cheaper place to buy them.

ShopGrl1128 Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 6:00pm
post #4 of 17

Sorry, double post.

ShopGrl1128 Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 6:01pm
post #5 of 17

I never found another place with the type of lace I needed. GSA is your best bet.

victoriacakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
victoriacakery Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 6:34pm
post #6 of 17

caljavaonline (all one word) has a very nice selection of lace molds and medallions like you are looking for. I have ordered from them several times and have never had a problem. icon_smile.gif

ladij153 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladij153 Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 6:47pm
post #7 of 17

Try Elegant Lace Molds dot com.......They have quite a number of lace medallions. .....also caljava dot com has a lot of lace molds. Unfortunately, I've never found any inexpensive ones anywhere!

lecrn Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 9:41pm
post #8 of 17

[quote="ladij153"]Try Elegant Lace Molds dot com.......They have quite a number of lace medallions.

They've got some very nice vintage trims!

sabre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sabre Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 9:54pm
post #9 of 17

Country Kitchen Sweet Arts makes these molds and their prices are the best I have found so far.

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 11:24pm
post #10 of 17

I got mine from First Impressions dot com, (I think part of GSA)? If you haven't used a lace mold before you should know they are pretty tricky. I haven't been able to use mine successfully. icon_confused.gif

lecrn Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 12:17am
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mug-a-Bug

I got mine from First Impressions dot com, (I think part of )? If you haven't used a lace mold before you should know they are pretty tricky. I haven't been able to use mine successfully. icon_confused.gif

Wow, I'd hate to pay for an expensive mold & not have success using them. I read in one post that you could put the mold in the freezer & it makes it a lot easier. I wonder if you put the paste in the mold & then in the freezer?

Mug-a-Bug Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 12:56am
post #12 of 17

No I didn't try freezing it. The mold was so shallow I wasn't really sure how to level off the gumpaste / fondant. I need to take another crack at it. I read suggestions of using an exacto knife to cut off the excess.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 1:18am
post #13 of 17

if these are double sided molds.. you dust with powder sugar and cornstartch mixed... or your super pearl. roll fondant/g/p mix(more fondant than g/p) or half and half.. i roll mine in pasta machine... to no. 1.. then cut piece that just fits mold. lay top piece of mold on top. roll litely with rolling pin. hold down top of mold. tear off excess... lift mold top.. go around edges and push in really good. good and clean looking all way around. lay mold top back. roll litely with rolling pin. i usually don,t have to put in frig or freezer.. turn mold over gently and the lace falls out little at a time. i use a sm. brush to help it fall out.. that is how i was taught by rosemary watson. hth

Mug-a-Bug Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 1:58pm
post #14 of 17

Hmmm. I guess I have the wrong kind of mold icon_confused.gif I have one of the silicone ones icon_sad.gif

lecrn Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 4:31pm
post #15 of 17

Which ones are double sided?

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 4:41pm
post #16 of 17
lecrn Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 4:55pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

These are double sided lace molds: http://www.globalsugarart.com/cat.php?cid=816&s=15&name=CK%20SILICONE%20MOLDS

Thanks so much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%