Impression Mat Fondant On Warm Cookies?

Baking By CookieMakinMomma Updated 20 Mar 2010 , 10:45pm by Phyllis52

CookieMakinMomma Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 4:32pm
post #1 of 7

Hey all! I was wondering if you can use the 'hot cookie' method of attaching fondant if you have first used an impression mat on the fondant? I have used the method of attaching fondant to cookies where you set the pre-cut shape on a still-warm cookie and it worked great, but it softened the surface of the fondant (and made it rather shiny). It got me to wondering if this method, despite being delightfully efficient, would soften the fondant to the point that designs from an impression mat would be affected. Any thoughts?

6 replies
makeminepink Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 4:46pm
post #2 of 7

I tried it a few weeks ago. I used a folder from a cuddlebug. It worked great. I usually smooth the fondant with my finger while warm, but of course you can't do that with one that you've used an impression mat on. You can see a picture of the ones I did-- the green ones with the "M" in my baby shower cookies.

CookieMakinMomma Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 4:53pm
post #3 of 7

Those turned out really well makeminepink! (your 'M's turned out very cute too!) Did you notice if the pattern changed much after you placed it on the cookie? Also, mine got a funky, plastic look to them as they softened and became glossy (I've only used MMF). Yours don't appear very glossy, is there something you did that helped?

makeminepink Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 5:02pm
post #4 of 7

Thank you! I use Rhonda's Ultimate MMF. Not sure if a different recipe makes a difference? Mine aren't usually shiny. Usually, after the cookies are cooled, I kind of smooth or buff them with my finger to get bubbles and bumps out. When I did the pool ball cookies, I sprayed them with a tiny bit of Pam and rubbed them with my finger to clean them up-- cornstarch, etc. The ones I used the impression mat on didn't change much at all. Just be sure not to touch them while they're warm.

makeminepink Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 5:03pm
post #5 of 7

Darling baby by the way!

CookieMakinMomma Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 5:56pm
post #6 of 7

Thank you for the tips! Hmm, I can't remember what recipe I used but I think the stuff I have waiting for me to play with right now is Rhonda's. I guess I'll have to mess around with it and see. (oh darn, another excuse to make cookies! icon_lol.gif)

And thank you for commenting on my boy! He just turned 18 mos so I really ought to update my avatar (he was disguised as Duff Goldman in this pic. I'll be sad if he ever outgrows those cheeks! icon_smile.gif

Phyllis52 Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 10:45pm
post #7 of 7

I haven't had that problem at all. I use Satin Ice and my impression stays just beautiful and it adheres to the cookie wonderfully. I wonder if it makes a difference with the Satin Ice?

Quote by @%username% on %date%