Using Torani Syrup In Cake

Baking By sunlover00 Updated 23 Mar 2010 , 9:52pm by sunlover00

sunlover00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunlover00 Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 3:45pm
post #1 of 6

I just bought some really interesting syrups for adding to my cakes, but I don't know how much to use. Do I use it instead of oil? It's kind of runny - similar to sugar free maple syrup. But it seems that if I'm doctoring a vanilla cake mix, I'll need a lot of it to get the flavor through. It's rather tan/brown in color so drizzling over a finished cake would not be pretty when it soaks in. Maybe use it in place of some of the liquid? I use milk instead of water for richness so I don't want to lose that either.

Has anyone used these before? They're made mainly for coffee and desserts. icon_confused.gif

5 replies
windemire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
windemire Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 1:46pm
post #2 of 6

I use Torani syrups all the time to make flavored sodas and coffees.

I've tried them in sno-cones, and was very disappointed in the lack of flavor-intensity; if they aren't strong enough to adequately flavor shaved ice, I'm afraid the flavor won't come through at all in a cake.

If you decide to give them a try, I'd use them in place of extracts, and not to replace the liquid or oil called for in the recipe. I don't think it would react well as a fat or liquid replacement, because of all the sugar in the syrup.

You might be able to get a nice subtle flavor in your buttercream, though.

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 2:01pm
post #3 of 6

I would try flavoring buttercream with them, but because they are so subtle it doesn't seem like you will get the flavor intensity you want in the cake itself. Also, with them you are not just adding an extract you are adding sugar/corn syrup, too. You can use them in a simple syrup to lightly coat your cake before frosting (some folks spray it on instead of brushing), keeps cake moist and adds flavor. Have fun experimenting.

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 5:29am
post #4 of 6

Torani Sugar-Free vanilla is delicious in buttercream! I add about 2 teaspoons to a full batch of Buttercream Dream...

SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 6:04am
post #5 of 6

I use Torani in place of simple syrup when i want to add an extra touch of flavor and moistness to an already baked cake!

sunlover00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunlover00 Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 9:52pm
post #6 of 6

I didn't think about it being all sugar. I'll try brushing it on and in the frosting but I don't want it to color it too much. I'm stuck with a lot of it if it doesn't work! But it will be good elsewhere.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%