Kitchen Aid?

Decorating By Nikkicakes Updated 22 Mar 2010 , 2:02am by DesignerWoman

Nikkicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nikkicakes Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 3:11pm
post #1 of 10

I am just wondering what model of Kitchen aid is the best for the $ ? I have an older model and it has only 4 speeds left. My lowest speed has not worked for months and what a pain it is to mix PS and flour without it!
Just wondering what you all use! Thanks!

9 replies
Carlachef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carlachef Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 3:28pm
post #2 of 10

The most you can afford !!

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 3:36pm
post #3 of 10

I've had a 4.5 qt mixer for several years, but it's starting to bite the dust...won't go any faster than speed six...I'm going to go with either the 5qt or 6qt Artisian series. Price is a little salty, but the mixer I have now I got 10ys ago so I know it will pay for itself.

LeckieAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 3:48pm
post #4 of 10

I ready somewhere to mix sky blue and teal. So I used Americolor sky blue and wilton teal. I started with light sky blue, then added teal until I liked the color. Don't forget it darkens some after a bit. Didn't love my cake, but the color turned out ok.
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1369160

LeckieAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 3:51pm
post #5 of 10

LOL - I'm so sorry - I posted in wrong thread!!

I have probably a 2o year old 4.5 quart I picked up at an auction 6 years ago - and I love it. So I can't help much. But - I do know from other family members that my old one works better than their new ones. They all tell me I should get the professional bigger one if I buy a new one.

Sorry again for the wrong post! Good luck!

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 4:34pm
post #6 of 10

I got a 4.5 Quart Classic, that my brother bought me two years ago, and it still works great. He Paid $199.00 for it on sale at macy's and two weeks ago my mom bought me a 5 qt Artisan also on sale at macy's it was $303.33, after 33% discount and that price included shipping and tax. and it works great it is very powerful though it does splash your powder sugar, so maybe you may want to check mayc's because they always have sales.

IceMaidenUK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IceMaidenUK Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 12:26am
post #7 of 10

I have the slightly smaller Classic model and whilst I love it and use it a lot I do now wish that I had bought the larger model as the smaller bowl struggles to cope with any cake mix over a 10" square.

If most of the cakes you make are smaller than 10" then the Classic is just as good as the Artisan but if you make a lot of big cakes I would say go for the Artisan.

I'm in the UK so there's no point me telling you the price I paid!

HTH icon_biggrin.gif

skaggs1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skaggs1 Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 12:53am
post #8 of 10

I have the 6qt professional Kitchen Aid, and I love it. I have had it for about 2 years now. Bought it online at lowes.com it was on sale and I paid about $300.00 and free shipping.

Nikkicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nikkicakes Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 1:29am
post #9 of 10

Thank you all for the comments..I have been looking online...I really would like to get a pro model, hopefully I can get a good deal! icon_smile.gif

DesignerWoman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DesignerWoman Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 2:02am
post #10 of 10

Before I bought my mixer, I researched a lot of mixers and found complaints about the Kitchen Aid mixers. A lot of complaints about the Kitchen Aid mixers made are about the mixers made in the last 10 years. Apparently the housing for the motor in the Kitchen Aid can crack and leak oil into the bowl. The older mixers are fine, since the housing is not plastic like in the new ones. Please take a look at this site before you buy anything:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeowners/kitchenaid_mixers.html

The mixer I finally decided on was a Bosch compact.

I hope this helps

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%