I Get Annoyed When....

Business By jenmat Updated 26 Mar 2010 , 12:36pm by CakeEvolution

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 2:59am
post #1 of 16

People want fondant looking creations without the fondant and then get mad when I say no.
Recently I have had a lot of customers around here asking for crazy 3D cakes and designs, but they don't want fondant. "I don't want to chew my icing." ok, so you want to suck it through a straw???
So, you want a 3D rocket ship standing up, smooth and highly detailed made of whipped icing?? Um, no thanks.
I use Jen Dontz's recipe for fondant, so I know its heavenly, but people are just so picky. And yet they want Duff designs.
annoying.

15 replies
alene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alene Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 3:10am
post #2 of 16

I know what you're talking about jentreu. I have an order for a 3D fire truck cake with ladder but they want all butter cream and they want it to look awesome. icon_sad.gif

Odyssey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Odyssey Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 4:45am
post #3 of 16

Most people have had bad experience with fondant. It took a bridal show a year ago for me to figure out that there were actually different flavors. One booth was actually handing out little fondant cut out flowers to prove it tasted good. If you ever have extra fondant lying around it may be a consideration to give a small taste if they have already proven they are willing to pay for the cake. That's what sold me anyway.

Mrs-A Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs-A Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 5:25am
post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odyssey

Most people have had bad experience with fondant.......

i was saying to my cake teacher last monday that since highschool (ummm, 25yrs ago) i thought i hated fondant because my year 9 food science class made us use a horrible almond fondant (can still buy it at woolies) on a cake and i hated it but the fondant we use in class is yummy so im prepared to try a fondant cake now

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 7:31pm
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odyssey

Most people have had bad experience with fondant. It took a bridal show a year ago for me to figure out that there were actually different flavors. One booth was actually handing out little fondant cut out flowers to prove it tasted good. If you ever have extra fondant lying around it may be a consideration to give a small taste if they have already proven they are willing to pay for the cake. That's what sold me anyway.

That's a really good idea thumbs_up.gif

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 9:38pm
post #6 of 16

we gave out little squares of fondant on a toothpick at a recent bridal show we did, and everyone loved it although most had a preconceived opinion already.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 3:27pm
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jentreu

"I don't want to chew my icing."...... I use Jen Dontz's recipe for fondant, so I know its heavenly, but people are just so picky.

You pointed out two totally different things. Texture and taste. While the taste my be heavenly, some poeple just do not care for the texture of fondant.

My family would be in the texture group. We just don't like the chewiness of fondant. I have tried home made recipes before, and while the taste is good, it is still chewy.

To each their own. Both tastes and textures very from person to person. What is good to one person may not be good to another

You are the cake decorating so you should tell them that I'm sorry but that icing will not hold up for what you want. I can do a different design using the icing you want or I can do this cake, using fondant.

But I don't think they are being picky by asking for an icing that they prefer.

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 3:49pm
post #8 of 16

Ok, my family doesn't care for the chewieness (is that a word?) of fondant. In fact I don't. I use mmf, and all the little kids just love it, I mean it's just a marshmallow icon_biggrin.gif But come on, there is a layer of buttercream under there! I just leave the fondant on my plate.

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 4:11pm
post #9 of 16

Yeah, I always tell my customers it's always a personal preference. I explain that my brother loves the stuff while my sister can't stand it. It's really just a matter of educating the cake muggles.

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 12:32am
post #10 of 16

They can always peel it off. I don't really care for it either, but it certainly doesn't offend me. It's not like the entire cake is made of fondant.

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 12:55am
post #11 of 16

I always take samples of fondant covered squares to my bridal tastings. Last weekend I met with a couple and the groom would not touch it! I said.. try it.. its not the nasty stuff you have had before. I make mine fresh (MMF). He said no several times! haha I finally let it go! I think its a texture thing. My kids LOVE the stuff and my hubby hates it. Several of my customers have ordered fondant after they have given it a try. Lets face it.. most sculpted cakes would not be awesome if it were not make with fondant. Or at least mine aren't! icon_biggrin.gif

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 1:13am
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by akgirl10

They can always peel it off. I don't really care for it either, but it certainly doesn't offend me. It's not like the entire cake is made of fondant.

I agree.....Sometimes it has NOTHING to do with the taste & EVERYTHING to do with the texture. That said, I'd tell them no also. If it needs to be cover in fondant for that "LOOK" ... well they need to get over it & PEEL IT OFF......HAHA

oh & is that recipe you use public knowledge? I'd love to have it if it is...Thanks icon_smile.gif

4brod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4brod Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 4:08am
post #13 of 16

I have the same issues. People wants what they see on TV but without the fondant icon_confused.gif
I sometimes wonder if these shows really helps fellows cake decorators or are they harming our business.

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 1:28am
post #14 of 16

Even if they aren't interested I usually have all my brides try fondant just so they can see it tastes good. Most are impressed with the taste. I too get frustrated with those who want the look but not fondant.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 2:24am
post #15 of 16

oh, I always recommend giving the brides a sample of fondant, and most of them love it. Wedding couples never give me grief about it.
Usually its just the celebration cakes that are the pain. People want the cool look without the chewy icing or the fondant price. Smaller the price tag, the more they want for less.

Daltonam- the fondant recipe belongs to Jennifer Dontz, who is a member here and has a video for sale that has the recipe. So, in respect to her, I'll have to point you to her videos.

CakeEvolution Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeEvolution Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 12:36pm
post #16 of 16

Can you replace the fondnat with molded chocolate????? This is something I am going to be trying out in a few weeks on a test cake.... I know the chocolate is much heavier, but it's worth trying

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%