Are You Guys Sitting Down For This One.. You Should Be...

Decorating By tesso Updated 22 Mar 2010 , 12:49am by DesignerWoman

sweettoothmom1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom1 Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 3:20pm
post #31 of 54

man o man. yea. this lady at my kids school wants a fondant cake for 40pp, so i quoted $160 for a 2 tier. my sizes are very generous. so she wants samples of 4 different cakes, goes on and on about the fact that she is going to spend $160, but that she HATES fondant and is leaning towards my less exp $1.67per slice whippd cream cakes. that means shes gonna spend maybe $60 plus a consultation, plus enough samples of 4 cakes for her family to try.

BTW---my cousin works at target and i think she has to decorate 50 or so cakes per day.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 7:13pm
post #32 of 54

I don't even know if $20.00 would pay for the ingredients for enough cake for 40 people. Good grief. People NEVER cease to amaze me. I had a girl call me about a wedding cake. She needs to feed 65 people. I told her I'd do it for $165.00, (she's a friend of my daughters) Her mom said that she was only willing to pay $65.00 for cake. Guess they will be going to Wal-Mart or the grocery store.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 7:21pm
post #33 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Her mom said that she was only willing to pay $65.00 for cake.

This are the statements that just floor me! icon_evil.gif How arrogant are you to dictate "I'm only WILLING to pay this much!" (sniff haughtily, turn nose up in air).

A Big Mac is about $2 (I only buy them in the "Meal #1" package, so I'm not sure what the individual price is). Imagine walking into McD's and dicating "I want a Big Mac ... but I'm only willing to pay $1.25 for it." Guess what, babe! You ain't walkin' outta there with no Big Mac in your hand!

I guess I'd want to say, "I'm sorry ... what part of your body did you pull THAT number out of?" icon_confused.gificon_twisted.gif

subyu62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subyu62 Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 7:40pm
post #34 of 54

The teacher my ds had last year e-mailed me a few weeks ago. She wanted to know if I can do a themed cake for the drama club. She would pay for the ingradients. She was thinking tiered (I don't do sheet cakes) with scenes from the play. I was more than willing to do it because she is AWESOME and it was for the kids.

I thought of a few simple designs and told her I would need $50.00 to $60.00 for the supplies. She almost had a heart attack. She was thinking around $20.00!!! For a tiered, fondant, Aristocats cake ... for 100... needed in 1 week!!

That didn't happen!! My son isn't even in the darn drama club... I'm not paying for the supplies AND donating the work!!

Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 8:03pm
post #35 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel79

That is so funny! I would have laughed to. My story is funny because it is my PARTNER that gives me grief on my pricing, not my customers.

He tells me that I need to lower my prices because I am competing with WAL-MART and Kroger!?!?!?

Are you kidding me? I don't compete with anyone! I work 100 times harder than any work that goes into a grocery store cake. He wants me to sell a 10" round cake for 15.00-20.00?! Sheet cakes 15.00-20.00?!

Some people, even the ones you love, just don't get the hard work, time and ingredients that go into one of our cakes!

=)

Absolutely do not charge less! Your cakes are beautiful and very professional looking. Those grocery store cakes aren't even in the same league as your cakes. My friend knows only too well the cost, long hours and stress that goes into my cakes and tells me to charge more! lol

Torts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Torts Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 8:05pm
post #36 of 54

HAHA I'm just starting out and making cakes for fun... so not selling yet. But everyone who sees my cakes gets a subtle "Yeah, I love making them, but it's so expensive... this cost me $XX for the ingredients and took me X hours. That's why I can't make cakes all the time." They're usually pretty amazed that I spend that much on the ingredients- but at least they're well aware so if they ever want a cake, they know exactly how much the ingredients cost.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 10:10pm
post #37 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

My big laugh-right-on-the-phone was the guy who called at 11:00 a.m. and wanted a carved car cake for his dinner party at 5:00 THAT NIGHT! I burst out laughing and said, "Dude! Do you know how many DAYS it takes to make a cake like that?"
icon_rolleyes.gif

WOW.. now that dude was totally clueless. I guess they watch these cake shows and think..wow..they do all that in 8 hrs.. icon_lol.gif

A girl i work with asked me back in sept. if I could do one of "those" cakes like on the Food Network Challenge, because she was getting married the next month. I told her..sure I can.. and I am willing, in this case, to accept a 10,000 dollar check from you, icon_lol.gif ('cause ..you know that kind of cash isn't safe to carry around) icon_lol.gif I had to decline her order due to already being booked..but i did refer her to another woman.

A week later she cancelled her wedding. She told me all about how expensive it was going to be to get married. I just smiled and said..hmmm really?? icon_confused.gificon_eek.gificon_surprised.gif I just dont get why people try to plan huge weddings in just 4-6 weeks. I see it all the time. Is this a trend I am just not aware of..SPEED WEDDINGS?

It took me 15 months to plan/save for my wedding.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 10:25pm
post #38 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts

HAHA I'm just starting out and making cakes for fun... so not selling yet. But everyone who sees my cakes gets a subtle "Yeah, I love making them, but it's so expensive... this cost me $XX for the ingredients and took me X hours. That's why I can't make cakes all the time." They're usually pretty amazed that I spend that much on the ingredients- but at least they're well aware so if they ever want a cake, they know exactly how much the ingredients cost.

That's a pretty good method to educate friends and family about cake costs! These past four pages are proof that the general public has no idea how much work or money goes into these works of art. Simply no clue at all.

I really wish some of those cake shows would mention how much their cakes cost. Even just an average number to throw out there. The public needs to be educated. Also about copyright infringement, but that's a whole 'nother thread!!! I'm not opening that can of worms in here!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 12:23am
post #39 of 54

I agree, if these cake shows like Ace of Cakes and Cake Boss would quote a few prices during the show maybe it would help to educate these people. Maybe I'll send in that suggestion to TLC.. icon_lol.gif Can you imagine the reaction you'd get from some of these people if you told them that, like Duff, your minimum is $1,000.00 icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 1:28am
post #40 of 54

I don't make cakes to sell but when I have friends sort of talking like they want me to make them one I always say "it's a good thing I don't sell cakes because I'd be so expensive no one could afford me"..It's work but honestly folks people really don't understand. It is annoying though when you tell them and they get an attitude. Usually when I am inquiring about something that I don't have a clue about I start the convo with "I'm calling regarding pricing for XYZ and I have no idea what this costs" (and it's true) and so when/if it's more than my budget I say "Oh I had no idea that's a bit more than I can spend but thank you for your time". I think people understand that not everyone is rolling in dough...or cake...lol

Side note-There is a girl in my Wilton 2 class who is truly a beginner (I do better) and she has already taken a order for a WEDDING CAKE! I mean really? A WEDDING CAKE?

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 2:49am
post #41 of 54

I do cakes only as a hobby for friends and family. I have made several cakes for people at work as gifts. I make sure that everyone knows exactly what is involved in doing a cake like I do. I let them know how much time it takes, the cost of the ingredients and the kind of time and work that is involved to make the fondant decorations and gum paste flowers.

People all know that "if" I sold my cakes they would not be cheap and would cost them a few bucks. When I am "educating" them I do it for all of us CC'ers and when I am done with my 20 minute speech - they say WOW, I didn't know that it was that involved - no wonder wedding cakes cost so much! And I say, "Amen!!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 4:17am
post #42 of 54

I nominate peridot for Queen of Cake World!!!!

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 2:43pm
post #43 of 54

THANK YOU Indydebi - you just made my day!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 3:31pm
post #44 of 54

Oh for the love of God...
"I only have $200 to get married." "My parents only gave me $150 to get married." Well, how much does a marriage license and the courthouse ceremony cost? Nobody HAS to have a big ceremony and a party. They don't want to get married, they want a party. Laughing was the best reaction to that stupid request.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 5:45pm
post #45 of 54

Two years ago a friend of mine wanted us to get into catering...which I reluctantly said I'd think about (this was before I even thought about doing cakes). Well, a mutual friend of ours decided to get married and was 'on a budget' but wanted to serve good food at her wedding and she hadn't been impressed with some of the larger caterers so my friend set up a tasting for her and her fiance. We fret 2 weeks over the menu, then the decor and how we would set up to impress her. Well, it was quite a 'tasting' to be sure. We had several types of appetizers, (because she just wanted finger food), sauces, cheeses, breads, meats, wines....you name it. And we had a beautiful presentation that included candles and fresh flowers. Well, they were wowed. LOVED the food. Told us which items they wanted. Wanted to use us to help plan the reception decor. Great! We'd send them an estimate. Long story short, we sent them an estimate of around $1500 (which included a rather large 'friend discount') and were told that 'gee we were thinking more in the range of $100. Then she said that she'd be OK with just cheese and crackers. Good Lord! $150 for cheese (even the canned variety) and saltine crackers would still not feed the 75 people she was inviting. Needless to say our catering days are behind us--but we have a couple of cute aprons that my friend went and had made with our 'logo' that I designed. I wear it whenever the urge to cater something comes over me! icon_rolleyes.gif

3LittleBeesCookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3LittleBeesCookies Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 6:25pm
post #46 of 54

Im thinking:

these ppl spend 125.00 on a xmas wreath, eat out everyday and cry about being broke. The girl only has 200.00 to get married, why not wait, why are you doing a bridal shower so big? AND YOU ORDERED FOOD OUT from a fancy place INSTEAD OF MAKING IT AND a few bottles of liquor and A "KEG"?!!!...I dont feel bad. She told another family member that I was over charging her and taking advantage of her![/quote]

I know what you mean, 2txmedics. My family is the same way. They rave about how good my cakes and cookies are and then go buy cakes from Sam's Club. All they want is freebies--discounts aren't even good enough for some of them-- as if I can get eggs, butter, flour, etc. some where for free. icon_eek.gif

It's almost as if people think because you are a one person show or a small operation that you should cost less than Sam's/Walmart/Costco. They don't consider that WE have to work much harder and are not assembly line bakers!

3LittleBeesCookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3LittleBeesCookies Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 6:36pm
post #47 of 54

The first part is a quote from 2txmedics btw. icon_smile.gif

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 7:44pm
post #48 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesso

And her budget....wait for it... wait for it... She doesnt want to spend more than TWENTY DOLLARS !!!! icon_confused.gificon_lol.gificon_confused.gificon_eek.gificon_surprised.gificon_confused.gificon_lol.gif I got one like this last year too...

She must have been joking, because no one in their right mind would expect a wedding cake for $20.00... seriously. icon_confused.gif Prank call perhaps? I get them all the time, even the ones who "call back" with more info...

Torts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Torts Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 8:07pm
post #49 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose_N_Crantz

That's a pretty good method to educate friends and family about cake costs! These past four pages are proof that the general public has no idea how much work or money goes into these works of art. Simply no clue at all.

Haha thanks, Rose_N_Crantz (love the name by the way... I was quite the fan of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern in high school. We even made t-shirts with their names on them. icon_lol.gif

I've had an offer for someone to pay for the cost of ingredients. I think I'll make a list and have them buy the ingredients. When you actually go through and pick out each item yourself and see the price attached to it, you see exactly WHY the cakes are so expensive (not to mention the work involved). I think people see a cake as a single item sometimes, without actually realizing that the whole is a sum of its parts... and that sum is a pretty penny!

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 8:35pm
post #50 of 54

"I've had an offer for someone to pay for the cost of ingredients. I think I'll make a list and have them buy the ingredients. When you actually go through and pick out each item yourself and see the price attached to it, you see exactly WHY the cakes are so expensive (not to mention the work involved). I think people see a cake as a single item sometimes, without actually realizing that the whole is a sum of its parts... and that sum is a pretty penny![/quote]

What a good line of reasoning! You're right and if you ask people to pick up the items themselves you will be amazed at how quickly people stop asking for cake!

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 8:37pm
post #51 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesso

I got a call from a lady who got my number from someone else.. you know how it goes...

I say hello she spits this out really rapidly..

She asked if i could do a wedding cake for her.
She tells me she wants it delivered to the lake (nearby)
She tells me it doesnt need to be too big..
She needs it to feed 40 people
She will be perfectly happy with a 2 stack but will take a sheet cake if she has to...

And her budget....wait for it... wait for it... She doesnt want to spend more than TWENTY DOLLARS !!!! icon_confused.gificon_lol.gificon_confused.gificon_eek.gificon_surprised.gificon_confused.gificon_lol.gif

Too shocked to say anything at first.. I chuckeld... I laughed.. I laughed harder...and then the snorting started... icon_redface.gif

Finally i choked out "can you repeat your budget amount?". oh yah..it was twenty dollars.. I was like..umm...umm..I think walmart is your best bet. She replied, It's ONLY a small cake. I started laughing again..I really truly couldnt help it.. and she hung up.

I still have a stich in my side. and it hurts!!! icon_lol.gif I laughed so hard it got my asthma going too.

I got one like this last year too...

Your experience made me LMAO!! I may not be a decorator extraordinaire but jeeze. I would have had the same reaction once the shock wore off.

dguerrant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dguerrant Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 9:15pm
post #52 of 54

I had someone call and want a cake for the next day and didn't want to pay very much for it either, i can't recall the exact size or cost, but they didn't want a sheet cake, when i began to explain that i needed more notice, she got a little upset, so i sucked up all the air in the room and began:

1. you need this in less than 24 hours
2. you want to argue about the price
3. i am a full-time teacher - duhhhhh i teach your children art
4. i have 3 children ( UNDER THE AGE OF 16), 5 dogs, a husband, and sometimes
5. a LIFE!!!

What i really wanted to say, you go drive to the nearest wal-mart/bakery 35 miles away and shove it and it's not my fault you're an idiot and forgot/didn't plan ahead good luck and good bye. icon_evil.gif

OOOH YEAH, ABOUT THE EARLIER POST ABOUT $20, ASK THEM IF THEY WOULD WORK FOR 50 CENTS AN HOUR, BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT YOU WOULD MAKE AFTER THE SUPPLIES WERE PAID FOR. OFFER TO HIRE THEM FOR 50 CENTS AND HOUR AND SEE WHAT THEY WOULD SAY icon_evil.gif

marknelliesmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marknelliesmum Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 10:40pm
post #53 of 54

Well really, she did offer to pay $20 after all consider yourself lucky. Here's a post from another thread:

cake_Newbie said:

Quote:
Quote:

Lol my family is the same way. I am like you I have them get the ingredients or give me money. I had one aunt that wanted a cake and she says oh I need something small and simple to take to my bday party to feed 50 people so can you just make something that wouldn't cost you anything to make. (Which means she didn't plan on paying for the stuff to make the cake). So I took a piece of paper and drew a pic of a cake and gave it to her and said this is they only type of cake I can make that doesn't cost anything to make...lol I swear what is with some people if you ask a stupid question you will get a stupid response...lol

So I think you should call this woman back, apologise sincerly, stating you acted in a truly unprofessional manner for failing to cater to her needs and offer her a picture icon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gif And for all the business bakers/decorators out there I think you should all add to your consultations as standard practice the following question:

Now regarding your budget, would you like a real cake or a picture of a cake?

DesignerWoman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DesignerWoman Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 12:49am
post #54 of 54

I have not laughed this hard for a long time icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%