Decision Made, Time For A Change Of Work

Business By MustloveDogs Updated 23 Mar 2010 , 6:49pm by 1234me

MustloveDogs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MustloveDogs Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 12:07am
post #1 of 14

I am feeling a little scared, but mostly feeling relieved so it makes me think that this is the right decision.
I have decided after a number of years of running my cake business, that I want a change of career.
I had been feeling burnt out for the last 12 months, so took a lot of christmas off and it didn't help, I started to dread the next order that I had to make.
I will now only make the cakes that I want to for family and I can look forward to them again, not feeling that pressure or deadline!

13 replies
sweetlayers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlayers Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 12:41am
post #2 of 14

If that is the right decision for you then don't second guess yourself. Enjoy your freedom and think of us who can't let it go right now.

Blessed wishes!

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 2:47am
post #3 of 14

Maybe you should chat with IndyDebi. Not to talk you out of it or anything, but I think she's going through the same thing. A change of career I meant.

Motta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motta Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 3:37am
post #4 of 14

Well, it sounds like it was a thoughtful decision and likely a hard one to make. I applaud your courage to move forward and to be good to yourself. Good luck with your next venture!

p.s. I always wonder what makes people leave this business and the answer I've noticed is usually burn-out. It's not the work itself but the volume of work. Or maybe the customers....sorry to say but dealing with the public ain't easy.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 4:24am
post #5 of 14

life is short so do what you have to do to make yourself happy. And I LOVE YOUR AVATAR

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 12:57pm
post #6 of 14

What do you have in mind for your next job? Whatever it is, have fun with it!!

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 1:10pm
post #7 of 14

Good luck with whatever you do next! I wish I could leave my current job and just do cakes!! I'm burnt out at my job (health care).

LizAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizAnn Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 1:16pm
post #8 of 14

I burned out about a year before I called it quits and told my husband I simply could not do it anymore. It was like I physically and mentally hit a brick wall. He asked me to endure one more year, which I did, and I officially retired January 1, 2009.

Do I regret my decision ? Not on your life ! I still make cakes for my family, but send even my oldest, most loyal, most devoted former customers to other local decorators.

In the last year or so a local mega-talented lady has formed a very dynamic cake club, and celebrity decorators are coming to the area (this is not the end of the world, but you can see it from here) conducting workshops and such. Four or five years ago I would've been first in line to participate, but the thought of doing so now just leaves me flat.

I now have the freedom to live my life, after working for 40 years, I can go visit my children and grandchildren at the drop of a hat, go on trips, etc. In a nutshell, I love retirement !

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 2:42pm
post #9 of 14

I retired from L&D nursing a few years back for that very reason. My burn out stemmed from the amt of paperwork had me more at the station than in my patients rooms! Sad...I had to sit by a computer WATCHING instead of in the room. (thanks to the computer I could take more patients, saving the unit money, but going against everything I believed in). I HATED going to work. Good luck in your next career!

MustloveDogs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MustloveDogs Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 8:11am
post #10 of 14

Thanks so much for your wonderful support everyone!! I appreciate it.

I am going to work in my childrens' school now, it will suit me for hours of work and I just find it so much fun. I am a big kid anyway.

I found that all the problems that I have with cakes were the things that I focussed on more than what was good. I know that I am a perfectionist, but I don't get that buzz from finishing a cake and being proud of it anymore. I also don't feel like dreaming up new cake designs, which is something I used to always do even when I should be sleeping lol!
I just don't have my heart in it anymore, but working at the school I am thrilled about!
I am doing my first aid certificate this week, and studying for qualifications in a month or so, and have been appr.oved to work some volunteer hours at school.
I have also applied for a role there, as a current worker is pregnant so hopefully I can fill in for her soon.
If not, there are heaps of local schools nearby to choose from and my hubby is being so amazingly supportive and says that there is no rush and to take my time.

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 1:04pm
post #11 of 14

You have a wise and generous man there! Working with kids is great...whenever they do those annoying things you can laugh and send them away at day's end!

kensoven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kensoven Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 3:46pm
post #12 of 14

I think you should do whatever fulfills you, as someone already said, life is too short to waist it doing something you no longer love. thumbs_up.gif

Good luck on your new endeavors.

herdream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
herdream Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 4:10pm
post #13 of 14

Wow! Congrats, and good luck. thumbs_up.gif Its such a blessing to be able to step back, reassess, and do what you love.
I totally know what you mean by burn out. I wish I could quit my day job, continue being a WMI part time, do cakes whenever I want, and stay at home with my boys. But our current situation doesnt allow that icon_sad.gif
Thank God I DO have a job right?

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 6:49pm
post #14 of 14

good for you! I am glad you found the relief you were wanting! You must be doing something right icon_smile.gif

I have only been doing cakes for a few years now but I know my time for burn-out will come too! I don't stick to things too long icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%