How Do I Get A Fbct Flush W/ The Rest Of The Frosting Layer?

Decorating By aej6 Updated 21 Mar 2010 , 11:19pm by aej6

aej6 Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 11:56pm
post #1 of 8

Hi all,
I have read and watched videos but maybe I am missing it and someone can help.
I am doing a cake this weekend for a friend and plan to do the basketball Final Four symbol in a FBCT. My concern is when I have done FBCTs in the past they never fall flush with the layer of buttercream on the top of the cake. I once tried putting the FBCT on first, then frosting around it and that didn't work at all.
I do the design and cover it all with a thin layer that is the color of the cake covering so that it blends in. That is correct, isn't it?
Any thoughts? Anyone who can share how they do it or any insights in to what I am doing wrong?
I really appreciate any help.

7 replies
sewsweet2 Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 12:04am
post #2 of 8

A frozen buttercream transfer isn't meant to be flush with the surface of the icing. If you want it flat I would say that you would have to do the transfer and then add enough icing around the outside of the transfer so that is it as big as the surface of your cake. That's doesn't sound too feasible because it could be quite large depending upon the size of your cake.

aej6 Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 12:06am
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by sewsweet2

A frozen buttercream transfer isn't meant to be flush with the surface of the icing. If you want it flat I would say that you would have to do the transfer and then add enough icing around the outside of the transfer so that is it as big as the surface of your cake. That's doesn't sound too feasible because it could be quite large depending upon the size of your cake.

It's not? Wow...my thinking of it has been quite off then!

LeckieAnne Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 12:06am
post #4 of 8

I did it once where I really wanted it flush - so I did it the size of the whole top of my cake - then I just put a crumb coat on the top, put on the fbct - and iced the sides then. No other way that I know of.

KHalstead Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 12:11am
post #5 of 8

depends on the look you're going for......sometimes I want it all flush, sometimes I don't.

do like LeckieAnne says if you want it flush!

aej6 Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 12:51am
post #6 of 8

Thanks for the idea; will give it a shot...not sure if there's enough room in the freezer for the whole top layer...have to see what can be moved! Thanks again!

AKS Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 2:31am
post #7 of 8

Just try to apply the colors as smoothly as possible and pipe a small border around the image. It'll be great!

aej6 Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 11:19pm
post #8 of 8

I posted the final cake in my photos...thanks for the ideas!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%