Ring Cutters Vs Small Pans

Decorating By Mel2085 Updated 20 Mar 2010 , 2:24am by AKS

Mel2085 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mel2085 Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 9:10pm
post #1 of 11

I am wanting some insight from your veterans out there!!

I am wanting to offer small cakes like 2 in round 4 inch round things of that nature to make mini cakes...my question is....should I just get small round pans or should I get the ring cutters and just make a sheet cake and cut them out?

I am leaning towards the cutters because I can make the cakes quicker and have only one pan to clean and store! But I will be having scraps of cake......

Thanks for the insight!!!!!

10 replies
Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 9:17pm
post #2 of 11

It's easier to frost the sides of the mini cakes when they are baked in the size you want. Frosting open crumb sides is harder. Sometimes when you press down on the cutter you don't apply even pressure and your circle can be on a slant.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 9:35pm
post #3 of 11

If you avoid doing smooth sides, the smaller ones can be easy to work with. Here are some pics of some 3" sample cakes I made using an up-and-down-star-tip; a poured ganache; a mini german-chocolate; and 2 that I iced but made NO attempt to keep them smooth:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/55969028@N00/3863342985/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/55969028@N00/3863342857/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/55969028@N00/3863342819/in/photostream/

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 9:57pm
post #4 of 11

I like the pans better, takes longer but no waste

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 1:37am
post #5 of 11

Ok indYdebiicon_smile.gif what is dreamsicle frosting?

sweettoothmom1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom1 Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 1:47am
post #6 of 11

baking: i've tried using the jumbo muffin tins and put 2 layers together, but way more time to clean up. the other way was put the sheets in freezer for a bit and cut with rings. this was faster, just cut close so less waste. most i've done is 30 minis (2 layers each).

icing: the larger minis are easier to ice. the 2" took more time cause they're so light, they wouldn't stay in place. i saw a neat technique where they used fondant and cut a strip to go round the mini, then a small ring for top. different style, but still looked good.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 1:54am
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywabbitz

Ok indYdebiicon_smile.gif what is dreamsicle frosting?

take your favorite cream cheese icing and add some orange oil flavoring to it. It will takes just like the dreamsicle ice cream bars ..... I always told my brides, "Takes you back to the tire swing in your backyard!"

Once you taste this "orange" icing, you'll never have just plain "orange" icing again. The cream cheese is what makes this POP!!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 2:02am
post #8 of 11

i,ve made orange cream cheese icing (no shortening in it). add fresh squeezed orange juice to it. for carrot cakes with pineapple filling. so delicious. i think this recipe was in souther living magazine

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 2:03am
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel2085

I am wanting some insight from your veterans out there!!

I am wanting to offer small cakes like 2 in round 4 inch round things of that nature to make mini cakes...my question is....should I just get small round pans or should I get the ring cutters and just make a sheet cake and cut them out?

I am leaning towards the cutters because I can make the cakes quicker and have only one pan to clean and store! But I will be having scraps of cake......

Thanks for the insight!!!!!

Scraps of cake = cake balls... thumbs_up.gif

For super small cakes like a 2" and 4" I personally like the ring cutters and use a jelly roll pan for baking --nice, even 1/2" tortes. Very clean looking.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 2:22am
post #10 of 11

Yummy, thanks for the info. I try to avoid cream cheese based frosting because it requires refridgeration but I may make an exception for this one...maybe when I make a cake just for meicon_smile.gif

AKS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKS Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 2:24am
post #11 of 11

Not sure I'm hitting the mark here, but check this out:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00188HVXW/?tag=cakecentral-20

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%