Freezing Cake, How To And How Long

Decorating By ginaw8325 Updated 26 Mar 2010 , 10:15pm by ginaw8325

ginaw8325 Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 6:57pm
post #1 of 6

How long before needing a cake can you freeze it? and what is the best way to freeze? I am getting married May 1st and I am Making my own cake, 3 tier butter cream with fondant over top. I was thinking of baking the cakes and then freezing them to decorate later. Any suggestions would be great. Gina

5 replies
joenshan Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 7:14pm
post #2 of 6

Hi Gina,

I have frozen cakes 6 weeks in advance and they were perfect when thawed. Once mostly cooled (a little warm is ok), I double wrap in plastic wrap (as tightly as possible without squishing it) , and then I double wrap in aluminum foil on top of that.

Personally, I freeze all my cakes, but my usual timeframe is 1-2 weeks, but it's nice to know that they keep longer.

donnella2045 Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 7:17pm
post #3 of 6

I have frozen a cake 4 weeks and it was perfect. I wrap them individually in heavy duty plastic wrap several times. Then I stack them and wrap them with aluminum foil. When I freeze them I place them on a foam board so they do not touch the freezer.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,

kerri729 Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 7:46pm
post #4 of 6

Whatever your timeline allows. I have frozen cakes months in advance, and they turn out fine. Just make sure to cool them completely, wrap in Saran wrap, then aluminum foil, then a plastic grocery or garbage bag and stick in the freezer. To thaw, leave the wrappings on, so condensation collects on the outside. Good luck & Congratulations!

Peridot Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 2:05am
post #5 of 6

Just be careful when you wrap them in aluminum foil that you don't squish or damage the sides or indent the top by "patting" the foil or pushing to hard on it. Keep it loose so you don't damage the cake. Also don't wrap your plastic wrap to tightly either.

I have a chest freezer and after I double wrap in plastic (don't use foil any longer) I place my cakes in a box. I have also have frozen cakes for four months and when I took them out of the freezer to use them they were just great. Moist and delicious. You just have to make sure that they are wrapped well so they don't dry out or get freezer burn or absorb any type of odor.

ginaw8325 Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 10:15pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for the info!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%