Home Bakers - How Many Cakes In One Weekend?

Decorating By tsal Updated 20 Mar 2010 , 6:07pm by shanasweets

tsal Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 6:54pm
post #1 of 16

Hi,
I was reading a thread the other day about home bakers (can't remember exactly what the topic was), and some of bakers were posting that they do 14 or so cakes in one weekend. I could not stop thinking about it because I am a hobby baker and it takes me a few hours to do a single cake.

Just wanted to say that my hat is off to you home bakers who can complete so many cakes in a weekend! Wow!!

15 replies
kellertur Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 7:17pm
post #2 of 16

My licensed home business is by appointment only. Because it's in our home (and because I'm a "at home" Mom & wife) I try to only do one per weekend. I could handle more, but then I'd have no time for my family on the weekends. You may get several different answers and it's amazing how some people can manage many, many cakes so quickly. icon_smile.gif

Best of luck to you. icon_smile.gif

costumeczar Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 12:45am
post #3 of 16

I cranked out two sheet cakes, a fish groom's cake and two small tiered cakes by noon today. Two more tiered cakes this afternoon (both small ones, though) and I'm going to go finish the topsy turvy one now. Then I'm going to collapse.

tenleysmommy Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 12:59am
post #4 of 16

I am just a bake for friends kind of person.It beats the heak out of shopping for a gift icon_wink.gif !And the most I have done is 3 cakes,and I felt like I would die.I do have a 2 yearold and 9 month old.I could never imagine doing that many.But when its your job and you are getting paid it might make it easier! icon_lol.gif

kellertur Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 1:00am
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

I cranked out two sheet cakes, a fish groom's cake and two small tiered cakes by noon today. Two more tiered cakes this afternoon (both small ones, though) and I'm going to go finish the topsy turvy one now. Then I'm going to collapse.

And your cakes kick butt!!! I checked out your website last night... icon_eek.gif

indydebi Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 1:24am
post #6 of 16

Plus it totally depends on the equipment you have. A baker with a double convection oven and can bake 6 or 8 cakes at one time, can do WAY more volume than someone with a single standard oven who can only bake one cake at a time.

When I was a home-baker, my biggest wedding cake took over 7 hours baking time. No way I could do more than just that one cake that weekend. That same cake's baking time in a commercial or large convection oven would take only 2 hours max.

Kandy4283 Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 1:27am
post #7 of 16

Well, for this weekend, I am doing a wedding cake (my first....), and that consists of 5 double layer cakes with 2 sets of stair cases and a fountain and then one for sunday which is going to be a choc cake on bottom, and white cake on top, oh yeah, it's going to be 1/2 sheet, with strawberry mousse filling....

Win Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 1:29am
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsal

Hi,
I was reading a thread the other day about home bakers (can't remember exactly what the topic was), and some of bakers were posting that they do 14 or so cakes in one weekend. I could not stop thinking about it because I am a hobby baker and it takes me a few hours to do a single cake.

Just wanted to say that my hat is off to you home bakers who can complete so many cakes in a weekend! Wow!!

I read that same thread and thought the same thing! I'm a hobby baker and usually find a reason to do one a week... but even one takes me hours and hours! I don't think I'd ever be able to crank them out at the speed that requires so many in a weekend. Indeed --hats off!

bennett5 Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 1:45am
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsal

Hi,

I read that same thread and thought the same thing! I'm a hobby baker and usually find a reason to do one a week... but even one takes me hours and hours! I don't think I'd ever be able to crank them out at the speed that requires so many in a weekend. Indeed --hats off!

Totally couldnt agree more !!

JustToEatCake Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 1:54am
post #10 of 16

I agree I am a one a week'er myself I wouldn't want to do more than that. I don't always even do one a week.I don't think I'd enjoy cakes as a profession unless I was working for someone else and just decorating..but I'm retired..make that re-TIRED!

JCE62108 Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 2:10am
post #11 of 16

I will take up to two a day, depending on what it is. Wedding cakes only one per day, maybe even for the weekend...depending on complexity, etc. It takes me a long time to bake because I have a regular oven. Each batch that goes in takes at LEAST an hour. This weekend I had 3 cakes. Did it with no problem. I had a cake last tuesday as well. Sometimes I will bake the cakes earlier in the week and freeze them. Come wednesday I will decorate for Friday, Thursday for Saturday, etc. I can get more done this way. Luckily the recipe I use is AWESOME and the cakes stay fresh for at least 4 or 5 days.

costumeczar Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 2:24am
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellertur

Quote:

And your cakes kick butt!!! I checked out your website last night... icon_eek.gif

Why, thank you! icon_smile.gif

kellertur Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 5:42pm
post #13 of 16
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Why, thank you! icon_smile.gif

icon_wink.gif

mindy1204 Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 5:45pm
post #14 of 16

I am a hobby baker too and this weekend kicked my butt! I had 2 10 inch cakes and 35 cupcakes. I baked on day for them all and then decorated each, they were more complicated than most I do. It has been a busy few days!

costumeczar Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 6:02pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:

icon_wink.gif

How much of a dork does it make me that even though I've never seen a single episode of Dr. Who, I still glanced at your police box cake and knew that it was from Dr. Who before I saw the label on it icon_eek.gif

shanasweets Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 6:07pm
post #16 of 16

Just finished 5 doz decorated cookies and a baby shower diaperbag. Also threw in the mini 3-d teddy bear. That thing took me almost an hour. Forgot how much I hate stars. I did not start until 4 pm yesterday baking and as up until 1:30 am, then started again at 9am until 12:30. I am tired. This is all going with me to work tonight so I am off to take a nap.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%