Fondant Issues

Decorating By daylillyfreak Updated 21 Mar 2010 , 3:27pm by Mug-a-Bug

daylillyfreak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daylillyfreak Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 6:32pm
post #1 of 9

Ok. Not sure what to do here. This is my first post. I have been using Satin Ice for about 6 mths now but have probs with it cracking and looking like elephant skin. Have saw several places where people have switched to Fondarific. Price wise Fondarific is really expensive especially since I don't usually charge for any of my cakes. What I'd like to know is there a good way that I can make the Satin Ice work better? Is Fondx a good option instead of Fondarific? I like the pliability of SI but the cracking just kills me!! I have also heard that Fondarific doesnt work well in hot places. I live in the deep south with lots of heat and high humidity so that also concerns me. Any help or guidance anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks and happy baking!! Terri

8 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 6:37pm
post #2 of 9

just curious, are you rolling out the satin ice with cornstarch??? I ask, because I have the same problem with satin ice when I use cornstarch.........however it's not an issue when I roll out with powdered sugar OR with shortening!

daylillyfreak Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 9:12pm
post #3 of 9

Up until yesterday I always used powdered sugar but tried cornstarch. Didn't notice a diff between the two really except things just weren't so sticky in the cleanup. I still had the same probs with the cracking and elephant skin. I had read several places where the powdered sugar attracted moisture and since our humidity is usually higher than most places I tried the cornstarch. I have never used shortening to roll it out on. Although I've made cakes off and on for years this fondant stuff is all new to me!!

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 9:30pm
post #4 of 9

I only roll it out with shortening. Never had a problem except with black, which can be really tricky anyway

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 9:59pm
post #5 of 9

You definitely need to knead shortening in it before you roll it out. Not alot, just enough to coat you hands lightly several times, and it will help with that. If you roll it on a mat, just use the mat to put it on the cake and the underside is nice and fresh.

stacylambert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stacylambert Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 10:16pm
post #6 of 9

I agree with MissRobin.

I was having bad cracking issues with Satin Ice until I read the suggestions on this board. I went to Jo-Ann's and got some of their clear vinyl and then I rolled the fondant out on that with a THIN coating of crisco. It's especially nice if you have a large cake to cover because you don't have to try to pick up the fondant or roll it up on your rolling pin. Just pick up the whole mat and flip it over onto your cake!

daylillyfreak Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 3:10am
post #7 of 9

Thanks for all the tips and info. I really appreciate it. Evidently I just need to do more. I tried adding the shortening to the fondant on my last tier last night but it still had cracking issues and a tear. Maybe because I still had shortening on the under side? I havent heard anyone mention anything about humidity. Do any of you find that the weather has much to do with fondant?

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 12:41pm
post #8 of 9

the weather has a HUGE affect on fondant and icing..........especially royal icing. Humidity gives me fits with that stuff!! llol

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 3:27pm
post #9 of 9

I always get elephant skin with Satin Ice too (the 3 times I've used it). Next time I'll try rolling out on crisco. Thanks. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%