Wholesale Price? Need Help Quick

Baking By verono Updated 19 Mar 2010 , 11:03pm by GeminiRJ

verono Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 5:27pm
post #1 of 8

Ok i've got an e-mail for a quote about my unit price and than a wholesale price.. it's for edible image cookie (logo)..
It's a marketing company and one of their client is looking for something like I offer..

So what should I do?
I'm selling my 2" logo cookie (wrapped with a nice ribbon) 2.50$/each.

7 replies
KarmaStew Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 5:34pm
post #2 of 8

What is your definition of wholesale?

Is this a one-off order? Are they going to be ordering 40 dozen per day for the next year?

GeminiRJ Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 5:39pm
post #3 of 8

Personally, I would go with one price only. Cookies are too time-consuming to give a wholesale price. Unless....they are willing to buy large quantities on a regular basis. I know that the time per cookie is actually smaller if you have a lot to do, versus just a few cookies. So if they're going with quantity, you'll probably get more cookies done in the same amount of time, giving you a better profit. How much you're willing to discount depends on how quick you can crank out those extra cookies!

leily Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 6:37pm
post #4 of 8

definitely find out what they're definition of wholesale is. Or at least figure out what your's is.

Mine would be a weekly/montly LARGE (in the hundreds) order that would allow me to buy in bulk, and ALL of those bulk items would have to be used on that order. I don't want to buy bulk, charge them using the bulk item prices, and then still have half of the items left over to try to use on another order(s)

And if they're looking for specialty logo on them. All the cookies would have to be the EXACT same to get the wholsale price. Otherwise it's just lots of little orders.

verono Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 6:57pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks ! That helps me in my thinking!

I reply to the women my unit price and I told her we could discuss over the phone about "wholesale"..

indydebi Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 6:59pm
post #6 of 8

agree with the above. Wholesale, to me, is BIG VOLUME. Not just a "big order", which is what most civilians think of. ("Wow, I'm going to do you a favor and order TEN DOZEN cookies!" Big whup. I had a standing order for 240 cookies ..... twenty dozen ..... PER DAY, EVERY DAY.)

luv2bake6 Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 10:29pm
post #7 of 8

I agree. When it comes to decorated cookies, especially custom ones, the word wholesale would have to mean that there is a significant standing order every week or two. If it's a one time large order, i wouldn't consider that to be enough to lower the price.
When i got my first non-family order a few years ago, the person ordered 120 photo cookie favors. I quoted my price per cookie and she asked for a discount since she was ordering that amount. I lowered the price a good .25 per cookie (i know, it was very stupid). It ended up being the most difficult order i could've ever worked on because she wanted a specific backround for the photo which was hard enough, but whenever i sent it back for approval, there were more demands to change colors, backround, or size. And all that was just the photo. Then i had to bake and decorate teh cookies.

GeminiRJ Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 11:03pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2bake6

I agree. When it comes to decorated cookies, especially custom ones, the word wholesale would have to mean that there is a significant standing order every week or two. If it's a one time large order, i wouldn't consider that to be enough to lower the price.
When i got my first non-family order a few years ago, the person ordered 120 photo cookie favors. I quoted my price per cookie and she asked for a discount since she was ordering that amount. I lowered the price a good .25 per cookie (i know, it was very stupid). It ended up being the most difficult order i could've ever worked on because she wanted a specific backround for the photo which was hard enough, but whenever i sent it back for approval, there were more demands to change colors, backround, or size. And all that was just the photo. Then i had to bake and decorate teh cookies.

Give them an inch, they'll take a mile! Seriously, I think the people who demand the discount are displaying a red flag. It's just a prelude of what's to come!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%