Airbrushing Questions

Decorating By zebramom Updated 20 Mar 2010 , 2:10am by Win

zebramom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zebramom Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 4:01pm
post #1 of 4

My husband is being ultra supportive and bought me an airbrush. However....

I have never used one before and don't even know if he bought me the right thing.

It's just a regular airbrush that he bought at Harbor Freight. It's a Central Pneumatic Professional brand. Is there a special food grade one? How do I mix the food coloring to be used in the airbrush?

I don't have the first clue what I'm doing and could really use some help from those of you that do this on a regular basis.

3 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 4:52pm
post #2 of 4

There are cake ones but you can use others. You do want one that you can adjust the airflow on. Some will blow to hard and tear up the icing on the cake.

They make airbrush colors, there is a liquid form that you don't have to thin down. You just use it out of the bottle. Americolor makes some, as well as others.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 1:58am
post #3 of 4

Print out some simple coloring book pages to practice on with the airbrush, after you are comfortable "staying in the lines" - then move on to some real cake! Just play with it - the more you do, the easier it is to get used to.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 2:10am
post #4 of 4

Welcome to Cake Central, Zebramom! If you go into the tab that reads: "Forums" and then to "how to" and type the word "airbursh" into the search box on the right, you will get a lot of past forums that have been posted and are most informative. I got an airbrush from my husband for Christmas and still have yet to use it because I've been taking my time reading them. One of them even has some other great links to sites that help you hone your skills. If I can, I will find it and post it here for you.

Edited to add that the above description is a little confusing after I re-read it. Here's a link to to the search option. If you type in "airbrush" on the right and drop to the box below it, narrow the search to "Topic Title Only." That will get you multiple great answers!

icon_biggrin.gif
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-fsearch-results.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%