Royal Icing Question

Decorating By candycakes51 Updated 20 Mar 2010 , 1:34am by antonia74

candycakes51 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candycakes51 Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 3:19pm
post #1 of 8

Hi CC family, I need your expertise again....

I made a bunch of royal icing daisies and allowed them to dry for several days but when I tried to remove them from the waxed paper I had made them on they were stuck and many of them broke. What am I doing wrong?

7 replies
sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 3:22pm
post #2 of 8

did you use the wilton wax paper squares? they always seem to stick, better to save yourself money and cut your own wax paper squares, those should not stick.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 3:32pm
post #3 of 8

Daisys are one of the more delicate flowers. When you pipe them you want to make sure that you get the petals to connect in the middle. And when you peal the paper off you want to do it carefully. Sometimes you do lose petals.

Depending on the design, I still use those, and that is the part that goes into the icing to prop it up.

candycakes51 Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 3:33pm
post #4 of 8

I actually did use squares I cut myself from waxed paper I bought from the grocery store. I have not had good luck with the Wilton squares in the past, either, so I made my own.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my though. It is much appreciated.

candycakes51 Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 4:17pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks for your replies. I appreciate your assistance and will use the broken ones as "fillers" as suggested.

ChoueiriCakeCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 7:33pm
post #6 of 8

I use baking parchment paper (the label says no grease or sprays added) found in my local grocery store, and it works great. Once my royal icing dries it comes off very easily (it even fell right off once!). I think you just need the right type of paper to let it dry on.

candycakes51 Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 10:13pm
post #7 of 8

Make perfect sense ChoueiriCakeCo, I'll give it a whirl...thanks for the suggestion.

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 1:34am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoueiriCakeCo

I use baking parchment paper (the label says no grease or sprays added) found in my local grocery store, and it works great. Once my royal icing dries it comes off very easily (it even fell right off once!). I think you just need the right type of paper to let it dry on.

thumbs_up.gif Yup, always use parchment paper...not waxed paper.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%