Cricut Vs Silhouette Vs Something Else?

Decorating By sharlanet Updated 20 Mar 2010 , 6:03pm by ladij153

sharlanet Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 1:24pm
post #1 of 5

I'm getting close to making my electronic craft cutter purchase icon_razz.gif and want to make sure I get the best one to suit my needs. I'm leaning towards the Silhouette so I don't have to buy any extra cartridges or software. I want to be able to cut paper, vinyl, cardstock, mylar, as well as gumpaste, fondant, etc. Will the silhouette work for cake decorating? Is there a machine that will cut and ALSO emboss and how does this work? Is there anything special I would need to buy for the Silhouette such as deep blades or anything? If I went with the cricut, can I cut paper etc. with the cake model?
Thanks for any advice you can give me!

4 replies
jobueno Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 3:36pm
post #2 of 5

I've been wanting to make the investment too, but I also want to purchase the Sihouette vs Cricut. Let me know which one you decide to go with and if it works for you.

JenniferAtwood Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 4:40pm
post #3 of 5

You can cut paper with the cake model of the Cricut. I don't know anything about the other, but will check it out.

tiggy2 Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 4:54pm
post #4 of 5

You can purchase software to use with the cricut and yu wont have to purchase cartridges. Make the Cut or SCAL (sure cuts a lot). Do the other cutter have a deep cut blade? If not they may not work for gum paste/fondant, etc.

ladij153 Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 6:03pm
post #5 of 5

I would love to get a Cricut and have been watching ebay for a good price. There are a lot of Expressions available.....most for around $200ish

Does anyone out there use a Pazzles Creative Cutter Mini? Please let me know what your experience has been. I just bought one on ebay for a good price.

TIA for any info you can provide for me......

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%