My 2 Yr Old Grandson In The Hospital

Lounge By ShelleyMJ Updated 1 Apr 2010 , 11:08am by ShelleyMJ

ShelleyMJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShelleyMJ Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 12:04pm
post #1 of 21

Brycen, my 2 yr old grandson was transported from our local hospital to Vanderbilt Childrens Hospital in Nashville, TN last night.

About 6 weeks ago the medical team found Pseudomonas bacteria in is bloodstream. (I am not a medical professional so I don't know alot about it) It was found in his white blood cells. He spent 10 days in the hospital and was sent home with a pick line to administer medication. Two weeks later the pickline was removed and he appeared to be doing better.

Yesterday my daughter called to inform me he had 103.6 fever and they were on the way to the hospital. This time, after blood cultures, they found the bacteria is in both white and red cells. (I have no idea what this means, but it sure doesn't sound good.)

I understand that this bacteria is attacking his little kidneys and the little guy is in alot of danger. I have been told it can cause blindness, deafness, paralysis and the unthinkable...... (I'm starting to cry!)

I have been reading all I can find on this and none of it makes any sense to me. If there is anyone out there that can enlighten me, please step forward. I want to arm myself with information and what I am finding on line doesn't provide much hope.

Please pray for my grandson! The li'l guy has been through so much.

Thanks

20 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 12:09pm
post #2 of 21

Shelley,

I hear your pain in your voice..My husband is still in the hospital after rushing him in last Saturday with Pneomonia...All I know is the nurses and Dr's worked tirelessly to take every test and find out what was wrong...They found he has an Auto Immune disease that attacks his red bloods cells which was caused by the bacteria fromthe pneumonia..It also attacks the kidneys...They will find out what is wrong with him...he is in the best place to be! I pray for a quick recovery for your little grandson!!

ShelleyMJ Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 12:36pm
post #3 of 21

I was reading the thread regarding your husband, I am so sorry to hear he has had such a rough time but am very happy he is making progress. Prayer works he is proof of it.

Yes, I am scared to death. My grandson has nearly been taken from us several times. He was born prematurely at 27 weeks and has had more than his share of pneumonia. He has chronic lung disease and now this bacteria that is attacking his little body.

Thank you for your prayers.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 1:21pm
post #4 of 21

Shelley, sounds like he is a fighter, don't give up hope. HUGS!!!

Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 3:05am
post #5 of 21

Praying for Brycen and you and your whole family! I hate to see little babies sick.

LeckieAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 3:31am
post #6 of 21

You're both in my thoughts and prayers, the only assistance I can provide. Bless you both and be strong!

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 3:36am
post #7 of 21

I put Brycen on my on going pray list and also your husband KiddieKakes, and the families. God be with all of ya'll

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 1:04pm
post #8 of 21

Shelley, I just said a prayer for Brycen and will continue to do so. Please keep us updated on his recovery.

Kiddiecakes, I'm praying for you and your husband, too. I'm glad to hear he's getting good care.

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 2:17pm
post #9 of 21

prayers coming his way...

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 2:32pm
post #10 of 21

I certainly will be praying for your grandson and will call our prayer chain as well. My mother had pseudomonus after giving birth to my little sister 35 years ago. She was down for several weeks! I was 14 years old at the time and I had to take care of everything. Getting up in the middle of the night to care for a newborn, cooking for the family etc. My mother was very ill. BTW she contacted the bacteria while in the hospital giving birth to my sister.

Please keep us posted.

ShelleyMJ Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 7:13pm
post #11 of 21

Brycen is home from the hospital. He is on medication 3 times a day through another picc line. OMG! The same stuff all over again. He can't go anywhere. I am thankful he is home but so wish they would get rid of this ugly bacteria.

Thank you all very much for lifting my grandbaby up through prayer. Your prayers are heard.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 7:44pm
post #12 of 21

I tried to post when you first let us know about him....and I couldn't get it to post. I have had him in my prayers....he is a tough little guy to start out so small and make it!! I am glad to hear he is home now, and will keep you all in my prayers too. Hugs to the little guy......

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 7:44pm
post #13 of 21

Praying for your grandson and the rest of your family.

Glad he's back home.

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 11:57pm
post #14 of 21

keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers....

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 11:07am
post #15 of 21

Shelley, how is Brycen? And, KiddieKakes, how's your husband? I'm still praying for both of your families.

ShelleyMJ Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 4:16pm
post #16 of 21

Brycen has very good days an then not so good. Yesterday he and his little 15 month old sister were wrestling in the middle of the livingroom floor. He was great for about 20 minutes. He got real tired and all he wanted to do was sit in mommy's lap. We ask him if he is ok and he says.... I'm big gramma, I'm big! He is such an inspiration.

Please continue to remember him in your prayers. He is such a fighter.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 4:23pm
post #17 of 21

ShelleyMJ,

Glad to hear Brycen is home and being treated!!

My hubby finally came home friday afternoon after 13 days.Through the testing etc they found out he has Lupus and blood clots in his leg and practically did close to $300,000 worth of tests to determine it but I'm glad! He is on several medications for life.It was a very scary,stressful time! I'm just so thankful that he got the best care possible and living here in Canada the healthcare is different so you are not stuck with a bill for thousands of dollars.

Here's to everyone on the mend!!

ShelleyMJ Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 4:26pm
post #18 of 21

Kiddiekakes - That's another answer to prayer. Very good to hear!

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 3:29am
post #19 of 21

hi shelly-
glad to hear your grandson is doing better and he is home.
my daughter had psudomonas ?spelling- when she was 13 months old.
it was cultered in her ears. at the time it was so rare that reps from CDC in atlanta came up to the hospital.
she was in the hopital for almost 3 weeks. (one of many stays she had in the hospital). she did recover and never had it again.
probably the scariest moments with this infection is the high fevers. she would be completely out of it.
the only other time she ever had really high fevers was when she had salmilina ?spelling (food poisoning). that was aweful too.
im sure with the help from family and the right meds your grandson will continue to get better.
please let me know how is doing.

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 3:40am
post #20 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

ShelleyMJ,

Glad to hear Brycen is home and being treated!!

My hubby finally came home friday afternoon after 13 days.Through the testing etc they found out he has Lupus and blood clots in his leg and practically did close to $300,000 worth of tests to determine it but I'm glad! He is on several medications for life.It was a very scary,stressful time! I'm just so thankful that he got the best care possible and living here in Canada the healthcare is different so you are not stuck with a bill for thousands of dollars.

Here's to everyone on the mend!!

so happy to hear your hubby is better! and that he home!!! wishing the best of health and happiness.

ShelleyMJ Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 11:08am
post #21 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by aundrea

hi shelly-
glad to hear your grandson is doing better and he is home.
my daughter had psudomonas ?spelling- when she was 13 months old.
it was cultered in her ears. at the time it was so rare that reps from CDC in atlanta came up to the hospital.
she was in the hopital for almost 3 weeks. (one of many stays she had in the hospital). she did recover and never had it again.
probably the scariest moments with this infection is the high fevers. she would be completely out of it.
the only other time she ever had really high fevers was when she had salmilina ?spelling (food poisoning). that was aweful too.
im sure with the help from family and the right meds your grandson will continue to get better.
please let me know how is doing.

Thank you so very much for the encouraging words. The CDC has been very involved in Brycens care as well. They have even come to Brycen's home and taken cultures from sinks, soil and the family pets. The rep has been involved in every step of his care. We were told there were no recorded cases of children in in his age group with this nasty bacteria.

At his worst point the fevers were 105. The poor little guy was completely out of it.

Brycen continues to improve however, he gets very tired quickly. The bacteria has been attacking his little kidneys so continued tests are being done to make sure his kidneys are going to be ok.

Thank you all for your continued prayers for Brycen and his family.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%