Another Newbie Question...wires

Decorating By katies_cakes Updated 19 Mar 2010 , 12:40pm by katies_cakes

katies_cakes Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 11:13am
post #1 of 4

Im trying to make tiny butterflys (with fondant and tylo) and attach them to wires. iv seen it done lots but cant find out how. iv tried letting them dry before using the wire, cutting out 2 shapes and glueing the wire in the middle, pushing the wire into thin and thick shapes. but they always break or are top heavy and move around on the wire. what am i ment to be doing to get this to work?? help please? TIA icon_cry.gif

3 replies
jobueno Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 11:49am
post #2 of 4

Hi there Katies_cakes:
depending on what type of flower is the gauge of the wire you will need to support the flower without it falling over. As far as the rest goes, I personally have never had much success with using bare wire to make my flowers with as I find they slip of the wire sooooo, what I do is wrap the wire in florist tape and then start applying fondant/gumpaste to it and let it dry. There is a wonderful thread here with many links to making flowers check it out.

Lyndseyb52 Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 11:57am
post #3 of 4

Hi Katie

The trick to getting something to stay on the wire is to make the end into the smallest hook or loop you can so it still fits into your butterfly or flower. I use clean, pointy pliers to bend the wire over right near the end and dip it into a bit of edible glue. Then slide it into the fondant while it's still soft and let it dry.

I use a florists block to stick all my wires in if I'm making alot. (still in the cellophane so it doesn't crumble)

Lyndsey xx

katies_cakes Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 12:40pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you both, i did not even know that you were ment to make a hook in the wire! how do you work out what gauge wire you need? can you tell its my first time with wires?? lol. could someone link me to the thread please? im useless at trying to find things!

Quote by @%username% on %date%