Fondant Grass For A Wedding Cake

Decorating By sweettreat101 Updated 19 Mar 2010 , 6:11pm by sweettreat101

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 10:02am
post #1 of 7

I have to make a wedding cake with fondant grass around each tier that shoots above the cake top. I have Tylose if I added a little to my fondant would it be ok if someone decided to eat the grass? I have used it in fondant to make large bows but obviously most people wouldn't eat that. The picture the bride gave me says fondant otherwise I would use gum paste. TIA

6 replies
katies_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katies_cakes Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 11:38am
post #2 of 7

Its not a problem if some wants to eat fondant with tylo in. in my opinion it doesnt alter the taste and iv never had any complaints! good luck.

katie

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 12:55pm
post #3 of 7

It should be fine to eat, but I wouldn't think you would even need it for that.

tiers2you Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiers2you Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 1:07pm
post #4 of 7

I don't think that most people outside of the cake decorating arena understand the difference between gumpaste and fondant. Tylose is edible, but I think that if you told the bride that gumpaste is a better alternative (same look, still edible, easier to fulfill what she wants) then she would go for it.

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 1:14pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnharris86

I don't think that most people outside of the cake decorating arena understand the difference between gumpaste and fondant. Tylose is edible, but I think that if you told the bride that gumpaste is a better alternative (same look, still edible, easier to fulfill what she wants) then she would go for it.

So true! I once had someone tell me they got a discount on their wedding cake because they settled for fondant flowers instead of sugarpaste flowers icon_confused.gif

tiers2you Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiers2you Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 1:26pm
post #6 of 7

Yes, exactly.. I just don't think that people know that there's a difference and even if they do, they aren't sure what the difference is. It's not really common knowledge and I'm sure that your bride would understand if it was explained to her. If your design has grass standing on end... that might be a PITA with fondant.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 6:11pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you everyone for all the info. Glad I finally took someones advice and joined CakeCentral. I used to frequent another cake board for over 10 years and when everyone started to disappear I was told they moved here. Again Thank you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%