Would You Make A Cake For An Autograph Session?

Decorating By ccr03 Updated 19 Mar 2010 , 6:04pm by ccr03

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 5:07am
post #1 of 13

So one of the bestest, greatest bands EVER (the are referred to as the Rolling Stones of Mexico - that huge!) is going to have a public autograph session before their concert Saturday night.

So I thought, hmm, instead of taking something for them to autograph, I'll take them a cake. My mom was like no - they don't have time for that and you'll feel bad if they don't take it. My sisters, of course, encouraged the idea.

I can make a simple dessert cake (no time for figurines and such), but the question is - should I????

12 replies
pj22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pj22 Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 5:14am
post #2 of 13

ya.. why not? Go ahead.. have some fun!

Who knows... the news guys will cover your cake as something unique and different.

But, will their security (if they have any) let you give them food?

ccr03 Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 5:24am
post #3 of 13

Idk if security will give it to them. Heck the roadies can have it - I'll just say I made a cake for Los Tigres del Norte! lol

One of my sisters recommended a traditional tres leches cake, so since I don't have time to go completely all out, I may just do that.

ETA:

Okay, so I can totally do a tres leches cake, bordered w/vanilla & chocolate wafer rolls and then an edible image of their latest album on top?? Yes, no - other ideas??? Dude - I so should have thought of this sooner! Nah, but a dessert cake is good.

pj22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pj22 Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 5:33am
post #4 of 13

The edible image idea sounds great! I'm sure they'll love it!!

ccr03 Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 5:39am
post #5 of 13

Coolio - thanks! I know my mom says they don't have time for that - and they may not - but if they are always on the road, it could be a nice surprise/treat.

Thanks pj!

Now it's time for me to get in my pjs! lol

kimblyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimblyd Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 5:46am
post #6 of 13

I almost made a cake for Taylor Hicks one time....I even called him while he was on a local radio show before his concert and TOLD him I was making him one. It's a long story, but it turns out I did NOT make him a cake after all.

When I was talking to him about it, he told me to give it to one of his stagehands and they would give it to him backstage. He said a lot of people gave gifts of food and he shared them with the entire cast (he was touring with Grease at the time). Somehow I doubt this. I mean, I would be hesitant to eat something a perfect stranger made for me, I think. Especially if I were a celebrity.

Anyway, after much deliberation with myself and my husband (that's the long story part) I decided not to do it. I was worried about hauling it around, but also didn't want to put a lot of work into something that most likely would get thrown away.

If you make a simple and delicious dessert and don't mind carrying it around, and don't care much if they don't eat it, AND most importantly, your husband won't divorce you over it, then I say definitely go for it. icon_biggrin.gif

Just wanted to clarify-I am a hobby baker. If you are licensed then there shouldn't be a problem with anyone trusting your cake.

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 6:30am
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimblyd

I almost made a cake for Taylor Hicks one time....I even called him while he was on a local radio show before his concert and TOLD him I was making him one. It's a long story, but it turns out I did NOT make him a cake after all.

When I was talking to him about it, he told me to give it to one of his stagehands and they would give it to him backstage. He said a lot of people gave gifts of food and he shared them with the entire cast (he was touring with Grease at the time). Somehow I doubt this. I mean, I would be hesitant to eat something a perfect stranger made for me, I think. Especially if I were a celebrity.

Anyway, after much deliberation with myself and my husband (that's the long story part) I decided not to do it. I was worried about hauling it around, but also didn't want to put a lot of work into something that most likely would get thrown away.

If you make a simple and delicious dessert and don't mind carrying it around, and don't care much if they don't eat it, AND most importantly, your husband won't divorce you over it, then I say definitely go for it. icon_biggrin.gif

Just wanted to clarify-I am a hobby baker. If you are licensed then there shouldn't be a problem with anyone trusting your cake.

By no means do I wanna rain on your parade but I think "kimblyd " is right, I doubt they would eat it, and believe me its nothing personal but like you might be a fan and do it out of the kindness of your heart others might do the same thing but be malicious about it (like add a heavy laxative lol. I dont know just using an example)

But regardless good luck and if you feel its coo to do it than by all mean you go girl and que te canten "LA REINA DEL SUR" icon_lol.gif as a thank you for the cake lol !!

ccr03 Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 1:11pm
post #8 of 13

@ayerim979 - yes! another Tigres fan!!! lol....

Okay, well, now you guys got me thinking....I'll have to see what happens.

Like seriously - I sooo wouldn't doubt it for them just to give it to the roadies and them not eat it. Idk. We'll see what happens.

KarmaStew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarmaStew Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 2:57pm
post #9 of 13

I've done lots of celeb cakes. I have a bakery, so it's not like *oh whoever made a crap cake at home and is delivering to the venue* kind of situation. I have my logo boxes and deliver cakes to venues.

ccr03 Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 4:55pm
post #10 of 13

Yeah, I'm gonna do it. Just thinking from another angle, now, they are expecting 750-1500 people (DUDE - AM SO STOKED), so imagine little ol' me waiting in line with my cake and people asking "oh what's that?" and I go BAM - here's my card! lol

Torts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Torts Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 5:10pm
post #11 of 13

I made a cake when Chief Justice Roberts of the US Supreme Court came to our law school. But I really just made it for the students... Secret Service wouldn't let him have any haha. But that's what I figured. He was impressed nonetheless and everyone enjoyed it!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 5:29pm
post #12 of 13

I doubt they would eat it if they didn't "order" the cake!!

ccr03 Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 6:04pm
post #13 of 13

Yeah, I really am not concerned so much with them eating it. Like I've said - the roadies/stagehands/security whoever can eat it. I just think it would be cool to make the cake and give it to them.

Obviously, I would hate for it to be thrown away, but I honestly don't think that would happen. Even if it was some media/promoter that swiped it, I'm sure someone would eat it.

One of the reasons I love them so much is that as huge as they are, they are still VERY, VERY much humble persons and truly have never given the impression that they think they are better than their fans or anyone. They are "the band of the people". I guess this is why I think they won't just throw it out completely.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%