Ugh Please Help Fondant!

Decorating By mommy2kids Updated 20 Mar 2010 , 7:01am by wildwolves

mommy2kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy2kids Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 4:37am
post #1 of 12

I don't know what I am doing wrong.. I am trying to cover a baseball cap cake and my fondant overlays and cracks. I tried too many times... i am getting so irritated cake is for tomorrow... please please please help me!

11 replies
kricket Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kricket Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 4:53am
post #2 of 12

MMF, Wilton, other brand? Maybe try kneading in a bit of shortening to help with the dry cracks.

LeckieAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 4:55am
post #3 of 12

I've not done a baseball cap, but is your fondant rolled too thin or too dry. You can knead is some crisco possibly? Be sure you roll it thick enough that there's a little extra for stretching?

Wish I was more help. Good luck!

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 4:55am
post #4 of 12

Try kneading some glycerin into the fondant. Use just a few drops at a time to prevent softening it too much.

HTH

Michele

ChoueiriCakeCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 10:23am
post #5 of 12

Your fondant is too dry and may be rolled out to thick or thin. You should roll it out to 1/8 to 1/4" thick, and roll out extra so that it drapes over the cake and then you can cut off the excess. You can also try adding small amounts of glucose to get more elasticity and less cracking.

8325mom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
8325mom Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 9:01pm
post #6 of 12

Where do you find the glycerin to use in fondant? I checked at the phamacy and they thought I was crazy.

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 9:08pm
post #7 of 12

Can you really use glycerin on fondant??? so if I get cracks... likr some elephant skin... adding glycerin might help? I had no idea....

UC?! you learn something new everyday.... icon_smile.gif

LeckieAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 12:45am
post #8 of 12

You can buy glycerine at Michaels - it's in the Wilton section with the gel colors. If your gel colors start to get thick - you can mix in a little glycerine to soften them back up.

DALIG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DALIG Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 12:59am
post #9 of 12

they have glicerine at hobby lobby with the wilton products but i bounght mine at walmart at the by the pharmacyi think its cheaper and you can get it on a trip over there. but the vegetable shortening should work just fine in the mean while. I made a cap for my brothers birthday and i had no problem, try kneading it more, than rub some crisco on a mat than roll the fondant bigger then the hat (oviously) then just turn it over and peal it off than just dust some cornstarch so that it does not stick to your hand and shape it, but do not use too many cornstarch or that will make it crack again. now that i think about it, how do you roll your fondant? do you use duast sugar or cornstarch than pick it up or do you roll it like i told you before? because if you are using to much sugar or cornstach to roll that might be causing the problem. So good luck and hope this help you.

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 1:00am
post #10 of 12

Oh and glycerin might be cheaper at your local health food store, mine is, worth checking anyway.

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 4:46am
post #11 of 12

I like to get glycerin at the health food store as well. It comes in a larger container and is a lot less expensive.

Just for information - glycerin will add moisture and stretch. Sometimes too much shortening can weaken fondant, so use it sparingly.

Michele

wildwolves Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wildwolves Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 7:01am
post #12 of 12

Thanks so much for this post! I have learned some valuable information! icon_smile.gif You guys are awesome.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%