Prayers For Joe Please

Lounge By Loucinda Updated 2 May 2010 , 4:03am by bakermom3107

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 2:14am
post #1 of 65

We just got a call from our daughter - her husband's brother (Joe) and family are on vacation in the Bahamas (Nassau) They were on a sailboat today and something terrible happened. We have not gotten the whole story yet, but he was hurt while on the boat, and fell overboard. They had to go in the water after him, and after getting him back on the boat, he was not able to move at all. He was concious, and coherant, but not able to move. He is in a hospital there right now, and has a broken neck?? They are working on getting him a med flight back to the U.S. Please keep him in your prayers.

NEVER leave the U.S. without travel insurance, they are having a hard time getting the med flight because they did not have travel insurance. icon_sad.gif

64 replies
retaunton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
retaunton Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 2:50am
post #2 of 65

I will say a prayer.

globalgatherings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
globalgatherings Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 3:30am
post #3 of 65

Oh, so sorry, sending prayers

Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 3:48am
post #4 of 65

Lucinda, so sorry to hear this. I know you are worried sick. Be strong. You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers.

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 3:51am
post #5 of 65

Ayy Loucinda, that's terrible. My prayers are with him and his family.

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 4:21am
post #6 of 65

so sorry to hear this, I will say prayers for him and the family

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 4:48am
post #7 of 65

praying hard!!!

CeeTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CeeTee Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 5:08am
post #8 of 65

Prayers and well wishes for him and your family

Margieluvstobake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Margieluvstobake Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 6:27am
post #9 of 65

Praying for Joe and his family.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 1:29pm
post #10 of 65

I'm saying a prayer right now and will continue to do so.

Loucinda Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 2:22pm
post #11 of 65

Thank you everyone. Joe is now in Miami - it took them paying in advance for the medflight to get it to take him to Miami. icon_sad.gif They would only allow one person to ride with him, so his wife went with him. They had to leave their son with his school group in Nassau. (he is in high shcool)

They were on a trip with their son's school group. The accident happened while they were out on a sailboat. One of the mast's hit Joe, they are not sure where he was hit, but he was knocked off the boat. They had to go after him in the water and pull him back onto the boat. He was not able to move any of his body, although he was concious.

Xrays have shown his neck is broken. He is going to surgery this morning.

Please continue to keep him and his family in your prayers.

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 4:59pm
post #12 of 65

Prayers for Joe and your whole family.

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 5:01pm
post #13 of 65

Oh my goodness please keep us updated! Hoping for a great recovery and so glad he is back in the states I'm sure he'll get great treatment.

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 5:43pm
post #14 of 65

Loucinda, I will keep you and your entire family in my prayers

Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 9:40pm
post #15 of 65

Glad to hear he's in Miani and in good hands now. Will keep the prayers going.

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 10:11pm
post #16 of 65

That is so sad, My thoughts are with you and your family. How scary that would be, to be in another country and have that happen. In a situation like that, Insurance is a wonderful thing. I went to Europe a few years ago, and had to cut my trip short because my father had a brain hemorrage and was dying, Thank God I had insurance on my flight, it was quite the hassle changing flights, even with that.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 10:19pm
post #17 of 65

My thoughts and pryares are with you and your family..I know what it is like to be worried sick over a loved one...

Loucinda Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 2:12am
post #18 of 65

Thank you again everyone. Joe had surgery today. They did an MRI beore they took him in - whenever he was hit, it chipped a bone in his neck, and lodged the loose piece of bone against his spine. They removed the chipped piece of bone and now it is a waiting game to see how things will be. They are trying to keep the swelling down as much as they can. His spine is in tact, and that is a good thing.

We found out the reason the mast hit him was the sailboat ran up on a reef, and jarred the whole boat.

Thank you for keeping him in your prayers, please continue.....I know it is helping him through this.

Margieluvstobake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Margieluvstobake Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 7:25am
post #19 of 65

Loucinda, thank you for the update. It is such a blessing that he was able to get back to the States so quickly and have surgery. I am praying for recovery for him. Let us know how he is doing.

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 12:45pm
post #20 of 65

Glad to hear he is here now.... I pray to God be with all of you during this time... I hope his son is doing okay I know this must be so extremly hard on him... is he still there or did he get back to US (the son)?

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 2:21pm
post #21 of 65

praying for joe...

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 2:33pm
post #22 of 65

Good news! Been there with my lower back. Thanks to God and all the prayers offered to Him I recovered. I am sending Joe all the prayers I had and a few more.

Loucinda Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 9:39pm
post #23 of 65

Thank you, keep the prayers coming please!

They took him off the ventilator today - he is breathing on his own (and was actually fussing with the resperatory therapist about something) He is still paralyzed from the neck down....BUT - they tickled the bottom of his foot, and it moved. He didn't feel it, but it moved. The Dr's are very hopeful and say this is a good sign. They are hoping once the swelling and bruising goes down that he may recover. They are telling us that he may not ever be as he was before the accident - but each day it is looking better.

The_Lil_Cakehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Lil_Cakehouse Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 9:53pm
post #24 of 65

My prayers go out to you! I hope you will continue the updates!!

mustang1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mustang1964 Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 5:51am
post #25 of 65

Sorry to hear this. I will be praying also.

ethanriley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ethanriley Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 7:15pm
post #26 of 65

My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.

jadak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jadak Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 9:41pm
post #27 of 65

Just said a prayer and will continue to do so. What a tragic thing to have happen. Hoping and praying that the swelling will subside and Joe will regain movement.

Loucinda Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 10:46pm
post #28 of 65

Thank you everyone. Kevin (their son) is back here now, in Ohio. Joe is running a fever, and they think he is trying to get pnumonia.

When the boat endoed from hitting the reef, and threw them all into the water (which is when the mast hit Joe) He had his lifejacket on, but he was in the water face down, so he inhaled some salt water. Thank goodness one of the women on the boat noticed he was face down and swam over and turned him over.

He still cannot move or feel anything below his neck. The Dr's are very concerned about his lungs right now, and made the comment that they need to take care of this, and the neck/back will heal on it's own. They are saying he will be in Miami for a couple of weeks - and then his boss is going to send his jet down to bring him home to Ohio - he will go to Dodd Hall at OSU.

Please continue praying for him.....thank you.

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 1:29am
post #29 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

Thank you everyone. Kevin (their son) is back here now, in Ohio. Joe is running a fever, and they think he is trying to get pnumonia.

When the boat endoed from hitting the reef, and threw them all into the water (which is when the mast hit Joe) He had his lifejacket on, but he was in the water face down, so he inhaled some salt water. Thank goodness one of the women on the boat noticed he was face down and swam over and turned him over.

He still cannot move or feel anything below his neck. The Dr's are very concerned about his lungs right now, and made the comment that they need to take care of this, and the neck/back will heal on it's own. They are saying he will be in Miami for a couple of weeks - and then his boss is going to send his jet down to bring him home to Ohio - he will go to Dodd Hall at OSU.

Please continue praying for him.....thank you.

Thank you so much for the update. He sounds like he has a great boss, and thank goodness for that lady who helped him.

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 2:30am
post #30 of 65

I just prayed for Joe and your families.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%