Do You Recommend Other Bakeries When You Can't Do The Date?

Business By Swede-cakes Updated 5 Apr 2010 , 2:03am by tarheelgirl

Swede-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 1:56am
post #1 of 25

Hi all,

I've had this happen a few times this year, when I get an inquiry for a wedding but have no availability on their date. I have a friend (former employer) who also has a legal home-based cake biz and when the out-of-town bride asks me if I can recommend someone else she can call in our area, I usually pass along this other baker's name.

I'm wondering what you all do? I'm sure some of you are way too busy to worry about this, but on the off chance you can help, do you? What if you know of a CC'er who's in the bride's wedding area. Do you pass it along?

Just curious! Thanks!

24 replies
MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 2:03am
post #2 of 25

I sure do!!

It's hard because there just isn't many in my area--as in one other about 45 min away from me, but I do pass them on.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 2:04am
post #3 of 25

I pass along names, too. I have a few local bakers who I refer out to on a daily basis since I book up so far ahead.

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 2:17am
post #4 of 25

Definitely! But only for bakers that I know will do good work with good taste. I've had a few customers come back to me and place an order with me after I've referred them because the other place took care of them well.

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 2:22am
post #5 of 25

Always keep your customers needs first, even if they cant stay your customer because you cant fulfill their needs. Be sure they are reputable and provide a good product and exceptional service. You can loose credibility if you make poor referrals and on the same note, you can gain a great reputation if you make great referrals.

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 2:22am
post #6 of 25

mmm...no.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 2:35am
post #7 of 25

Only if they ask.....

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 2:36am
post #8 of 25

Of course I do! I've heard some people describe some actions as "carma" --I just think it's kindness to help another along the way! thumbs_up.gif

Swede-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 2:56am
post #9 of 25

Thanks for your thoughts. I wasn't notified that anyone had posted.

Yesterday, I took a shot at scrolling thru the memberlist to try and find someone in MA for a particular bride, but you can't enter a state for search criteria, so it's a tedious task scrolling thru locations alphabetically... MA is in the darned middle of hundreds of pages! icon_cry.gif I gave up.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 7:38am
post #10 of 25

Yes I did. I had a couple of them, and both are CC'ers. I would not refer to someone whose work I hadn't seen or I wasn't impressed with. As Jill indicated, I didnt' lose customers over it. They thought I was very helpful and came back to me for future orders.

(By the way, Jill is who I began referring brides/clients to when I closed my shop!) thumbs_up.gif

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 9:32am
post #11 of 25

I send people to someone else when they ask and I can't do it....and in return she does the same. Works out well for both of us icon_biggrin.gif

costumeczar Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 10:42am
post #12 of 25

I actually referred a bride to someone but I didn't know the bride was a psycho, so you also have to be careful that it's a good referral on both ends! I don't refer everyone who calls me to someone else, but if they sound normal I will.

KarmaStew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarmaStew Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 3:04pm
post #13 of 25

*didn't know the bride was a psycho.....* LMAO

I recommend one other baker. We have the same philosophy.... that cakes can never be more than the sum of their ingredients. She also bakes from scratch with real butter and an MBC.

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 4:29pm
post #14 of 25

The reason I don't is that there is an implied liability when you recommend a business, especially for something as important as a wedding cake.

If I thought anyone in the area did a job as well as we do, I would try to hire them.

That said, with a kitchen staff of five, plus me, we very seldom turn down an order. Everybody likes overtime pay.

costumeczar Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 4:51pm
post #15 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkybaker

If I thought anyone in the area did a job as well as we do, I would try to hire them.

hee hee hee!

KarmaStew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarmaStew Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 4:52pm
post #16 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkybaker

The reason I don't is that there is an implied liability when you recommend a business, especially for something as important as a wedding cake.

That said, with a kitchen staff of five, plus me, we very seldom turn down an order. Everybody likes overtime pay.

I always make sure to tell them that I can only recommend her, that I'm not liable for anything she does or does not.

sweetlayers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlayers Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 12:37am
post #17 of 25

humm, I do on ocassion. But now that I think of it, no one has ever repaid the favor.

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 9:43am
post #18 of 25

I do if I know of someone in the area they are that does the same quality of work I do icon_smile.gif

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 12:57am
post #19 of 25

I do, but only one of the few around here...and never my nemesis who tends to say mean things about my cakes (Boo Hoo)...because she's illegal and infested with jealousy. icon_twisted.gif <--- Isn't that better than obsessing over WHY someone would be so vindictive? icon_biggrin.gif Someone showed up for a wedding tasting telling me she'd heard bad things about my cakes from "insert name here"... Made me laugh. Joke was on the other baker when the bride booked with me that night!! icon_lol.gif
YOINK!!

Now, there is one other legal home baker I will always refer people to...she's wonderful and not cutthroat. It pays to scratch each other's back.

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 9:47pm
post #20 of 25

Would love to, but the two other bakers i know of here, i found out, after they had emailed me posing as customers, asking about my prices, adn then one of them even denied having contacted me! not with her name, easily to find on google with her picture!. I live in a 26 million people city, you would think, that there should be enough work to go around. Until i find one, who is honest, i will only send potential customers to hotels. Hell, why can't people be upfront, introduce themselves, get together, have a tasting and a cup of coffee and be nice about it? Would be so nice to have someone I could send overflow to. but i would not do it, if i have a creepy feeling and dishonesty leaves me with just that feeling

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 10:50pm
post #21 of 25

Ursula, I agree. It's juvanile to pose as customers. Just honestly call and ask what my prices are, and stop playing kindergarten games!! icon_razz.gif

When I became licensed, I called the other small bakers around me and introduced myself. Yet no one has ever bothered to call and introduce themselves to me. icon_confused.gif I think it's just silly to trashtalk other bakers...first of all, why make enemies with people who could send business you way? I don't worry about it anymore. It shows insecurity on the part of the other baker. And the world goes 'round... icon_rolleyes.gif

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 2:35am
post #22 of 25

I have only done it once, just this weekend. I didn't have the bride's date available and I know another baker who is trying to break into the wedding business so I thought it might be nice to lend a hand. People have done lots of nice things for me. I know she does good work though.

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 1:45am
post #23 of 25

Yes, I do refer them to baker that I know...they are small business's like myself and they return the favor : )

ShopGrl1128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShopGrl1128 Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 2:01am
post #24 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursula40

Would love to, but the two other bakers i know of here, i found out, after they had emailed me posing as customers, asking about my prices, adn then one of them even denied having contacted me! not with her name, easily to find on google with her picture!. I live in a 26 million people city, you would think, that there should be enough work to go around. Until i find one, who is honest, i will only send potential customers to hotels. Hell, why can't people be upfront, introduce themselves, get together, have a tasting and a cup of coffee and be nice about it? Would be so nice to have someone I could send overflow to. but i would not do it, if i have a creepy feeling and dishonesty leaves me with just that feeling

Same thing happened to me, the funny thing is this baker posing as a customer didn't block her number when she called, when I called back I got her business' voice mail!
This other baker sent a friend to waste 1 hour of my time and had the courage to call me to ask more questions about my business...let's say I wasn't nice to this girl when she called icon_evil.gif

Every time I do a bridal show I go around and introduce myself-face to face- shake hands and invite other cake people over for a piece of cake, not need to pose as client and waste people's time! hate that!
thumbsdown.gif

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 2:03am
post #25 of 25

I have a couple bakers who I would definitely trust to send a customer to. They have sent referrals to me and I always return the favor. Also a few bakers who I wouldn't send even the worst customer to!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%