Do You "lock In" Your Prices?

Business By jenmat Updated 23 Mar 2010 , 4:49pm by hsmomma

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 12:47am
post #1 of 8

Just had an email from a bride of mine who is a local planner for a venue in the area. She was (pleasantly) surprised that since she booked one month before my prices went up, I "locked" her into the lower price. Her venue does not do that.
I guess I never assumed it would be any different than locking in a price.

Is this standard practice once the contract is signed and the deposit is booked? Or am I just losing out on money here?

Oh, yeah and on a side note she just asked if she could have 8 flavors in a 4 tiered cake. Um, no. Some places around here must do that. Eeesh.

7 replies
JenniferAtwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferAtwood Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 1:14am
post #2 of 8

Once a contract is written up and signed that price is locked in. Our contracts have the price on them. If however, the bride changes the flavors of the cake, number of servings, fillings, etc, she will have to pay the difference at the new price.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 2:17am
post #3 of 8

Thanks, that's how I've always done it, it never occurred to me to do anything differently.
Yep, I have that in my contract too that price goes up as changes are made.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 2:28am
post #4 of 8

I wouldn't think it would be fair to change a price on a signed contract.

Even on my non-contract cakes (yes I do some of those, usually my pickup ones) if I have quoted them a price, I will usually hold to it even if I have since raised prices, and always if they have paid a deposit.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 5:58pm
post #5 of 8

If I have quoted a price already, I will stick to that price.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 6:47pm
post #6 of 8

Once booked that is the price unless they make major changes, then a new contract is drawn up at the current price rate, not the original contract rate. I do know that If I had a contract with a venue and they upped the price between the time that I signed and my event and I got a bigger bill than contracted I would be calling my lawyer for sure! I didn't even think that was legal to do that, once an amount was agreed and contracted.

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 2:42am
post #7 of 8

Right now I'm about to raise my prices but my brides who have already booked will get the price they booked at. Raising prices once a contract is signed and expecting them to pay it doesn't make any sense. If I were a bride who'd had this happen I'd be spreading the word like wildfire.

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 4:49pm
post #8 of 8

I definitely always keep the base price once they book (put $ down). Even if I raise my prices...theirs stays the same. It wouldn't be fair to raise it on them after they paid their deposit.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%