Grooms Cake For My Brother

Decorating By RMcGee1506 Updated 15 Apr 2010 , 12:14pm by brincess_b

RMcGee1506 Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 12:01am
post #1 of 2

I was asked to make my brothers Groom's Cake for his wedding in April. I am SO new at the whole decorating thing and I have a few questions to ask everyone. I really don't have anyone else to ask so any answers/advice will be appreciated! I know the design that I am going to do. I am planning on doing a two tier chocolate cake. The sides of the tiers will be the basketweave. On the top of the bottom tier will be chocolate covered strawberries. On top of the second tier I want to do a beer mug(made with 6" circles) (the one tha has the poured sugar going down a dowel with the beer can on top). So that would technically make it a three tier cake. The cakes will be buttercream and the beer mug will be all buttercream as well (except for the handle and "base" of the mug). The cake needs to feed between 75-125 (probably closer to the 125 side). My questions are as follow:

1. What size do the cakes themselves need to be? I have square pans sized 8", 12", and 16" but I would be willing to buy others if needed.

2. How many layers should the first two tiers be?

3. Should I try to handmake all of my icing or should I buy it (from Sams or something)?

4. Are plasting dowels or wooden dowels better for a cake of this size?

5. How far ahead can my strawberries be made? Also, any idea on how many strawberries I would need to make?

6. Is it better to travel with a cake assembled or is it better to assemble the cake once there?

7. What border looks good with the basketweave technique?

8. Do I need to use a cardboard base or are there other options I just don't know about?

9. How far ahead can this cake be made and still taste fresh (seeing as for the couple of days before hand I'll also be involved with all the pre-wedding activities)?

Okay, so maybe more than a few questions! Thanks for any answer or advice anyone could give me. I just want everything with this cake to go as smoothly as possible...

Again, THANKS!!!
-Rachel

1 reply
brincess_b Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 12:14pm
post #2 of 2

1) an 8 inch feeds 32, a 12 feeds 72, so together you are a bit short. the 16 inch on its own would be 128!
heres a guide to pan sizes if youw ant to try some different combinations - you can hire pans rather than buy them at local cake shops. http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

2) the standard is about 4 inches high. my feeling is that is as many layers of cake as you want! i would stick with what you usually do.

3) up to you/ the couple. id say, stick with what you know.

4) i dont think wooden vs plastic makes a difference. use what you are familiar with id say.

5) there have been posts about the strawberries, i havent dont it, but i think nearer the time the better. and probably, more than you think you need!

6) different people have their own preferances. whatever you do, i would travel witht eh beer mug not stacked ont he main cake.

7) i think that standard is a shell border, but see if you feel more creative!

icon_cool.gif you mean in supporting the cakes? you must use a cardboard under each tier. some people make their own out of foamcore, there are posts on how to do that.

9) depends on your recipe. mine, i would be happy to serve after 3 days (more if its just for family!). you might want to look into freezing the cakes, then you can bake sooner, defrost the day before.

extra advice...
is the cake being served at the reception? if so, check you are allowed to supply the cake by whoever is makign the wedding cake. and if you are not a licenced baker, you might need to check with where ever the function is being held.
xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%