Crusting B/c Cracking !!!!!!! I'm In A Crisis!!!

Decorating By andyneal331 Updated 18 Mar 2010 , 11:52pm by sweetartbakery

andyneal331 Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 10:46pm
post #1 of 12

I made my crusting buttercream icings for a two tier cake... yellow and red.. I have let the red crust for a couple hours and I started using a foam roller (as suggested by my cake instructor) and it's crusted pretty well, but it just looks like it forms CRACKS when I am smoothing it over.. I have had a hell of a time getting my cakes smooth..whether it's using the paper towel method, wax paper and fondant smooth... roller.. ANYTHING! This cake is stressing me to the MAXIMUM! icon_mad.gif I almost feel like I'm putting too much icing on??? Or what is the deal??!!?

Since it's already crusted..how can I fix it?!?!? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP! I'm sick of this cake! thumbsdown.gif

11 replies
Loucinda Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 10:49pm
post #2 of 12

You have to smooth the cake BEFORE it crusts hard. Whether you are using the viva method or the roller one, you do not want it to have a hard crust....just let it set a few minutes (like 5 to 10 at the MOST) before you try to smooth it. I don't think there is anyway to save what you have already done. icon_sad.gif

Ice, let it set till it isn't "wet" (5 to 10 min.) then smooth. I personally use the viva method, and it works like a charm.

andyneal331 Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 10:54pm
post #3 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

You have to smooth the cake BEFORE it crusts hard. Whether you are using the viva method or the roller one, you do not want it to have a hard crust....just let it set a few minutes (like 5 to 10 at the MOST) before you try to smooth it. I don't think there is anyway to save what you have already done. icon_sad.gif

Ice, let it set till it isn't "wet" (5 to 10 min.) then smooth. I personally use the viva method, and it works like a charm.

Oh Lordy.. Please don't tell me that!! There is NO WAY I'm attempting red icing again... I refuse. I've had a crappy time with this cake and am tempted to call my friend and tell her to order a cake for her sons birthday elsewhere! UGH!!!!!!!! icon_mad.gif

lisamenz Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 10:56pm
post #4 of 12

The above post is correct. You let your buttercream sit to long. Ice, let sit for a couple of minutes or so and begin to smooth with viva paper towels. If the towels stick, then let it sit a little longer. It will let you know when its ready. As much as I hate to say it. I would just take all the icing off and start fresh. I have done that before. I like the other poster, have never had any problem doing the methods we both have done. Sorry, and good luck.

irisinbloom Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 10:57pm
post #5 of 12

Another CC'er used plain printer paper, I have tried it and it works very well . Good luckicon_smile.gif

icer101 Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 11:00pm
post #6 of 12

once your b/c sits that long. there is no kind of paper or roller that will salvage it. i am sorry this has happened.

leah_s Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 11:01pm
post #7 of 12

More than likely, you can scrape down and beat the crap out of the icing and reuse what you have. That's assuming it not hard crunchy.

cake-angel Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 11:01pm
post #8 of 12

This may or may not work for you but many of my students have noticed that when they seal thier cakes in a cake keeper after they have smoothed them that the icing softens up again and loses some of the crust effect. The sure fire method would be to reice the cake though.

DreamMaker2 Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 11:10pm
post #9 of 12

I've had icing go "wrong" before, but was able to take it all off (right down to a bare crumbcoat), and as Leah_s says, "beat the crap out of it" and re-ice it. Amazingly, it turned out great.

Good luck! I hope you can get it the way you want. icon_biggrin.gif

me_mysister Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 11:25pm
post #10 of 12

andyneal331, I feel your pain. I used to be in your shoes and hated doing any thing butter cream. But that was all my customers wanted..buttercream. So I have tried the roller method (my least preferred method now), and recently, the Viva paper towel method and the famous "upside down" method which works great! I wish you luck on getting your butter cream smooth.

andyneal331 Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 11:31pm
post #11 of 12

Thanks everybody... There is no way I'm stripping it down.. I used my hand and used the warmth of it and it got a little smoother.. but luckily I got to the other tier in time and it's pretty smooth.. What I have will just have to work!!! I'm doing it for close to nothing anyways! Now I know next time!! icon_redface.gif

sweetartbakery Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 11:52pm
post #12 of 12

i had this happen once because I got distracted with burnt chocolate and let it crust too long. I steamed it, smoothed with spatula again, and then paper towel (after 10 min). It didn't sit forever before I caught it though. maybe an hour...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%