Scratch Or Box Pricing

Business By revel Updated 20 Mar 2010 , 2:26pm by minicuppie

revel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
revel Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 9:04pm
post #1 of 18

I'm just wondering if most of you with storefront bakeries do box or scratch baking? And what would the pricing difference be between them?

Is there a cost difference in supplies if doctoring your box mix compared to scratch?

17 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 10:27pm
post #2 of 18

You might want to do a search on this topic. Just sayin'.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 11:03pm
post #3 of 18

There are a TON of posts on this subject (do an advanced google search if the one on here doesn't work for you) It usually is a VERY controversial subject. People are passionate about both ways of doing it, and neither one is right or wrong.

It all boils down to this: do what you are comfortable with, and your clients like, and don't worry about what others say about it. icon_wink.gif

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 11:21pm
post #4 of 18

And the cost of your recipes is a highly individual thing, depending on how you doctor, the quality of ingredients used, where you shop, etc.

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 1:22pm
post #5 of 18

In other words...PLEASE don't go there! Search....

KarmaStew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarmaStew Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 4:26pm
post #6 of 18

I bake from scratch, Real butter, SMBC, quality chocolate, real fruit (no icky LorAnn oils or whatever they are called.

I've never used a mix (and never will) so I have no idea how much they cost.

Loucinda, I've been wondering for a couple of weeks now, after seeing your posts here and there.... what IS that thing in your avatar pic?

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 4:56pm
post #7 of 18

Loucinda's avatar picture is a geletine bow.

To figure the price difference you have to do some leg work on your own. What costs me one thing here can cost someone else more or less in another location.

Take your recipes, make a list of what you need for both, then visit your local grocery store and price it out. Also some things are cheaper in bulk and if you have the volume that may be a benefit. Some can buy in bulk and save money, for others it may not help if they can't get what they use in bulk.

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 4:59pm
post #8 of 18

Karma, This is why things start. If other people use Lorann oils they might take offense at the "icky" comment.

KarmaStew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarmaStew Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 5:00pm
post #9 of 18

I'm not trying to start anything. Icky is my own personal observation. If others use it and it works for them, that's fine and dandy!

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 5:24pm
post #10 of 18

Texas Sugar, love the new pic. You look great!!

TexasSugar Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 6:02pm
post #11 of 18

Rosiecast, Thank you! icon_smile.gif

revel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
revel Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 6:08pm
post #12 of 18

I wasn't trying to start anything i've seen posts whre it got heated over which was best. Thats not what i was trying to say..i was just wondering what business' use. Would you make more money using mix or from scratch? I was more interested in it more from a cost point of view

TexasSugar Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 6:21pm
post #13 of 18

Revel, we know you weren't trying to start anything. It is just a topic that gets heated.

As I said before it is all really going to depend on information we can't tell you, because prices vary location to location. If your ingredients cost more to buy (such as if you are buying good quality stuff) then the cost of your cake should also reflect that.

I wouldn't base which you bake by off of the cost, as I'm guessing they are probably close enough not to make a huge difference. I would base it off of which one you feel comfortable baking, and which one those in your area seem to prefer.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 6:22pm
post #14 of 18

whether or not you make "more money" will depend on how much you charge. And whether or not your price covers the hours you're putting into the cake (making the grocery list, going to the store to buy supplies, baking, decorating, clean-up, and delivery)

Definitely take TexasSugar's advice and make a list of your ingredients and get the prices from the stores. Just remember to use the most expensive price (not sale prices, b/c it's not always on sale) if you shop at two different stores. I typically try to buy my supplies at wal-mart because they're cheaper than the other store, but I use the prices from the other store to figure my per serving price because sometimes wal-mart doesn't have what I need and I have to pay more for the same thing.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 6:35pm
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

It all boils down to this: do what you are comfortable with, and your clients like, and don't worry about what others say about it. icon_wink.gif

well stated

revel said
I wasn't trying to start anything
Its ok - your thread title wasn't confusing - its just that *some* see *box vs scratch* and thats all - not the *pricing* at the end.
Alls good revel thumbs_up.gif

As both TexasSugar and Loucinda said - whatever you are comfortable with ............ because there is *no right or wrong way*

Bluehue.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 6:38pm
post #16 of 18

karmastew, there is a thread about this gelatine bow, butterflies, flowers, etc. if you want to learn about it. not good on computers as you might be. i would lead you to it. just reading different peoples post.. they have always complimented loucinda on her beautiful bow. in fact, loucinda is on that thread i am talking about. maybe she will lead you to it. if you are new to decorating, then you might not have heard of this. famous teacher at ices convention. (rosa) taught this several years ago. at the convention using her expensive lace molds. so lots of decorators use this method. i know a little bit about it.. you can p/m me if you like.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 10:29pm
post #17 of 18

Revel - You're fine! icon_smile.gif

Thank you TS & icer.....I have been off the computer today, trying to help get things figured out for our extended family and the tragic accident (see prayers for Joe in the lounge) I appreciate it.

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 2:26pm
post #18 of 18

I'll get the popcorn. (Lou...be sure to take care of yourself, too).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%