Cake Mess

Decorating By _beckett_ Updated 18 Mar 2010 , 8:58pm by KASCARLETT

_beckett_ Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 7:48pm
post #1 of 6

I just used duncan's cake batter to make a bridal shower cake and as at sat on the cooling rack, it got a huge crack and split in two! It was a ten in. round. Am I using the wrong cake mix? all the boxes said moist, could that be it, or maybe I should of let it sit in the pan to cool more? It is a tester cake so it's not a big deal at the moment but in two days I have to make magic happen. Help!

5 replies
KASCARLETT Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 7:50pm
post #2 of 6

How long did it cool in the pan? It needs to be in there at least 10 min. or so.

TexasSugar Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 7:51pm
post #3 of 6

My guess.... Your cake had a hump on it on the top when it came out of the oven. Then you flipped the cake out onto the cooling rack. If the cake had a dome/hump on it it means the sides of the cake were not touching the rack. Gravity comes into play or just the weight of the cake in general, and those sides of the cake decided they wanted to be against the rack to, which split the cake in half.

If you do have a hump you can flip it over twice, so that the bottom of the cake pan is against the cooling rack. You can trim the cake before you take it out of the pan. Or you can use bake even strips and/or a flower nail as a heating core. Both of those will help the cake bake flatter.

_beckett_ Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 8:13pm
post #4 of 6

Thank you. That's exactly what happened. I didn't notice the hump till I flipped it back over.

TexasSugar Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 8:15pm
post #5 of 6

Thought it might be. If you don't really notice it until afterward, just take another cooling rack, lay it over and flip agian, so that the bottom is down and the hump is up.

KASCARLETT Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 8:58pm
post #6 of 6

I forgot about the hump part!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%